OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Creating a VPS with SuSE 10.1
Creating a VPS with SuSE 10.1 [message #12710] Mon, 07 May 2007 17:00 Go to next message
ovzuser is currently offline  ovzuser
Hi,
i have installed openvz (SuSE 10.1 kernel) with a SuSE 10.1 VPS and basic functions seem to work.

A few questions:

1) VEs don't have /dev/console, right? SuSEs startup and halt scripts depend rather much on a console. There are a lot of showconsole and setconsole commands in their scripts (/etc/init.d/boot, /etc/init.d/rc, /etc/init.d/halt). And SuSEs "startpar" program fails at all without a console. I have replaced /dev/console with /var/log/boot.log at many places and switched parallel execution off (/etc/sysconfig/boot: RUN_PARALLEL="no").

With all the patches i was able to bring up a VE with SuSE 10.1 (german version). Of course it would be fine _not_ to need all the modifications.

Will there be a /dev/console in a future release of openvz, possibly pointing to some logfile?

2) After getting my VE to work i created a template "SuSE-Linux-10.1-i386-de.tar.gz". I gave it a configuration file "SuSE-Linux-10.1.conf" in /etc/vz/dists by simply copying opensuse.conf. Now what: A VE created with my new template didn't work! Could not mount /sys because kernel does not support sysfs. I knew my kernel did this before all the time. At the end i found out it's the template / configuration name. I now have opensuse-10.1-i386-de.tar.gz and opensuse-10.1.conf and it works.

Obviously the configuration name need not be identical to ostemplate name. I suppose my first try used the wrong conf-file (vzctl even with DEBUG=2 und VERBOSE=1 did not show what's going on). OTH what i have seen only add_ip, set_hostname etc are influenced by conf-files. Why was sysfs lost then? Is "opensuse" hardcoded somewhere?

How is name matching from ostemplate to conf-file done?

markus

[Updated on: Mon, 07 May 2007 17:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Creating a VPS with SuSE 10.1 [message #12725 is a reply to message #12710] Tue, 08 May 2007 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

You are right, "opensuse" is hardcoded (as well as "suse" and "sles").

If you want to have another name for your OS template, you have to execute
vzctl set VEID --features sysfs:on --save

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Creating a VPS with SuSE 10.1 [message #31903 is a reply to message #12710] Sun, 13 July 2008 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roland is currently offline  roland
Hey!
how are you...

i was wondering where did u get the suse template ur using!

so far i just found one, that im facing lots of trouble with! its literarly empty, no yum nor apt-get...!
not even wget would work..
Re: Creating a VPS with SuSE 10.1 [message #31924 is a reply to message #31903] Mon, 14 July 2008 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
linash is currently offline  linash
hi,
I just made an opensuse 11.0 template, if you want to try it:
http://jb.giraudeau.info/fileadmin/user_upload/openvz/opensu se-11.0-i386-default.tar.gz
or see
http://wiki.openvz.org/OpenSUSE_template_creation
Re: Creating a VPS with SuSE 10.1 [message #31925 is a reply to message #31903] Mon, 14 July 2008 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

There is another thread on the subject: http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=rview&goto=31902#msg _31902

PS Asking a question a few times in different forum threads will not increase your chances of getting a good answer. Instead it increases disorder and mess on this forum, and it increses the time people who might know the answer will spend reading your dupes.

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Creating a VPS with SuSE 10.1 [message #33205 is a reply to message #31903] Sun, 28 September 2008 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi thanks I'm fine...

... coming back here more than a year later...

I created the opensuse 10.1 (german) template myself. I started with a minimal opensuse installation (on a separate machine), modified some things and packed the whole tree into a tar-gz archive.

I can supply my template if someone is interested.

But since OpenVZ obviously has dropped opensuse support it seems it makes not much sense to carry on with this distro and openvz.

The reason for my long absence: I tried to set up a dhcp- and ddns server within a VE. Basically it works but a lot of issues came up which had to be solved one by one. And you never know what is next ...

At the end I concluded container virtualization is a rather specific solution for a limited set of tasks.

Markus

Re: Creating a VPS with SuSE 10.1 [message #33206 is a reply to message #33205] Sun, 28 September 2008 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roland is currently offline  roland
hey!
great job!
its been a while tht ive been looking for such a template..
though never had the time to create one myself...
if its possible to share it id be more than thankful!
even though the language part would b tricky (i dunno german..)
Re: Creating a VPS with SuSE 10.1 [message #33854 is a reply to message #33205] Sat, 15 November 2008 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hfb9 is currently offline  hfb9
Could you please share this template? I've been unable to update the 10.0 template to any other version and keep the network working.

A working template of a modern version of Suse would be wonderful!
Re: Creating a VPS with SuSE 10.1 [message #33878 is a reply to message #33854] Mon, 17 November 2008 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Of course I can.

I have advertised my template to contrib(AT)openvz.org in October but no one answered.

It is a gzipped tar-file with ~ 150MB. Preferable someone supplies some server space where I can deliver it.

As last resort I can put in on my privte ftp-server (which is running within a ve on my openvz-machine). Sadly my home-server has only a 128 kb internet upstream connection (~15 kB/s), so it would take hours for download the template.

I could also provide my hardware-node as tar-image if needed. Gzipped it may be about 200 MB I guess.

Markus
Re: Creating a VPS with SuSE 10.1 [message #33905 is a reply to message #33878] Wed, 19 November 2008 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hfb9 is currently offline  hfb9
You can upload the template to openvz and they will archive it for you, just like all the other templates. Instructions are on this page:

http://download.openvz.org/contrib/template/precreated/

It would be great to get a working 10.1 template with yast. That would benefit a lot of people around the world!
Re: Creating a VPS with SuSE 10.1 [message #33947 is a reply to message #33905] Thu, 20 November 2008 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, instructions say "If you want put your templates here, email contrib(AT)openvz.org".

I have done this (again). We'll wait at least a few days for a responce, ok?

Markus
Re: Creating a VPS with SuSE 10.1 [message #34454 is a reply to message #33947] Mon, 05 January 2009 06:36 Go to previous message
Happy New Year!

For those who are interested: My template for OpenSuSE 10.1 has been uploaded to

http://download.openvz.org/template/precreated/contrib/opens use-10.1-i386.tar.gz

Sadly, since 10.1 has reached its end of life, support from SuSE has been dropped and, what is more relevant, it is hard to find a mirror with 10.1 rpms.

Interestingly, OpenVZ has released a new kernel (dated August 2008) for SLES 10 (see http://download.openvz.org/kernel/branches/sles10-2.6.16/027 stab028.4/).

For me, I decided not to touch my running HN.

Markus
Previous Topic: Jumbo Frames Support
Next Topic: New OS Template creation - What to exclude ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri May 03 21:49:53 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01771 seconds