OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » How do I reset root password.
How do I reset root password. [message #30803] Sat, 07 June 2008 09:46 Go to next message
Bittraffic is currently offline  Bittraffic

Hi,I have been running an openvz system for a while now but yesterday something wierd happened.
Whilst I was setting up new vps inside openvz I installed required template then entered vps via number as required, updated vps upgraded vps did passwd whilst inside vps to set password for vps then exited.

Tried the new vps I had just set up password wouldn't work.
Sshed back into openvz system signed in as admin fine went to goto root via su to enter vps again & wouldn't confirm instead I get the folloowing error :-Password:
su: Authentication failure
Sorry.

I have contacted the company hosting the main syatem requesting a root password reset. They tried for me & replied they cannot enter the single user mode to alter root password so therefore cannot reset for me.

Does anyone know of a way to reset root password from inside the admin account & can advise of a way to fix my problem.

Thank You in advance.
Re: How do I reset root password. [message #30805 is a reply to message #30803] Sat, 07 June 2008 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hi,

from HN (man vzctl)
vzctl set VE_ID --userpasswd root:[newpasswd] --save
Re: How do I reset root password. [message #30806 is a reply to message #30805] Sat, 07 June 2008 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thank you for reply but will that work on main root password as as afar as I know it hasn't got any VE-ID as its the main server box root password.

Tried above command didn't work as expected I got this reply :- -bash: vzctl: command not found

Thank you for trying Smile

[Updated on: Sat, 07 June 2008 11:08]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How do I reset root password. [message #30809 is a reply to message #30806] Sat, 07 June 2008 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I don't clearly understand you:

1. If you want to change user passwd inside CT you can use the previous command from HN
2, If you want to change the root passwd on the HN - it's not OpenVZ related question. You should appeal to the HN's holders with such sort of request. The changing passwd on the HN is the same as a changing root passwd on the common Linux node.
Re: How do I reset root password. [message #30810 is a reply to message #30809] Sat, 07 June 2008 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Inside main openvz system which is debian based I have an admin account set up so you enter ssh on admin then do su to access main root.
At present when I enter su get auth failed error.

I have contacted box providers they tried single user mode to reset it but it wouldn't boot to single user mode so they couldn't reset.

Contacted debian to see if a way to solve they sent me to you.

Hope you can help.
Re: How do I reset root password. [message #30812 is a reply to message #30810] Sat, 07 June 2008 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK,

1. Do you know the root passwd of the HN? I mean do you know the passwd that was right and you typed it after "su" command on the HN and got an access to the HN. Now you are trying to use the same passwd with the "su" command but it always fails, aren't you?

2. Are you able you use "sudo" instead "su" command?

3. What did HN's holders try to do (the exact commands!) and what did they get (error messages or anything else).

Re: How do I reset root password. [message #30816 is a reply to message #30812] Sat, 07 June 2008 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message

1/. I repeated exact root pass as always use got auth failed error.

2/. I tried a few sudo commands all came back with same error:-
-bash: sudo: command not found

3/. HN provider didn't give no errors just replied cou;ldn't connect to single user mode.
Re: How do I reset root password. [message #30819 is a reply to message #30816] Sat, 07 June 2008 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could you please tell the exact version of the kernel you use:
"uname -a" on the HN.

HN provider don't want to reboot his node or he isn't able to reboot it to single user mode?

If they are not able to boot to sigle mode they can boot via Live CD then mount root filesystem somewhere, chroot there and use the common utility for example passwd to change root passwd.
Re: How do I reset root password. [message #30823 is a reply to message #30819] Sat, 07 June 2008 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message

kernal is Linux OpenVZ.BitTraffic.com 2.6.18-fza-028stab051.1-amd64 #1 SMP Fri Dec 7 15:14:08 UTC 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux

HN provider said he isn't able to boot into single user mode.

Will post a ticket with HN provider asking for reset via live cd.

Thank you
Re: How do I reset root password. [message #30831 is a reply to message #30823] Sat, 07 June 2008 17:11 Go to previous message

Thank you for your help maratrus HN provider are working to reset the password now.

I appreciate all your help & time.

Thank You Very Happy
Previous Topic: moved hd and vzyum dosn't work
Next Topic: Problem with Networking - VENET Interfaces not Configured
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:05:10 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01680 seconds