OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » vzdev will be removed by udev?!
vzdev will be removed by udev?! [message #30331] Wed, 21 May 2008 15:41 Go to next message
drups
After installing CentOS 5 (x86_64) from http://download.openvz.org/contrib/template/precreated/cento s-5-x86_64-default.tar.gz everything work perfectly.

But when I install some software (ImageMagick) by using 'yum' the package 'vzdev' will be removed and I am no longer able to login into the VE! When I try to login ('vzctl enter NNN') I am receiving the error
enter into VE NNN failed
Unable to open pty: No such file or directory

After some research I discovered that the package 'udev' (udev-095-14.9.el5.x86_64.rpm) is the reason for this! When I install a clean CentOS 5 and invoke 'yum -y install udev' I see
[...]
Running Transaction
  Installing: udev                         ######################### [1/2] 
  Removing  : vzdev                        ######################### [2/2]

Installed: udev.x86_64 0:095-14.9.el5
Complete!

and I am unable to login...

When taking a closer look at 'vzdev' I see:
# rpm -q --provides vzdev
dev  
udev = 084-13
vzdev = 3.3.13-1.4.swsoft

Hm, what is that for? There is an older 'udev' inside this package! Is there a newer version of 'vzdev' somewhere?

Any ideas?
--drups
Re: vzdev will be removed by udev?! [message #30337 is a reply to message #30331] Wed, 21 May 2008 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drups
drups wrote on Wed, 21 May 2008 17:41

[...]
But when I install some software (ImageMagick) by using 'yum' the package 'vzdev' will be removed and I am no longer able to login into the VE! When I try to login ('vzctl enter NNN') I am receiving the error
enter into VE NNN failed
Unable to open pty: No such file or directory

After some research I discovered that the package 'udev' (udev-095-14.9.el5.x86_64.rpm) is the reason for this! When I install a clean CentOS 5 and invoke 'yum -y install udev' I see
[code]
[...]
Hm, what is that for? There is an older 'udev' inside this package! Is there a newer version of 'vzdev' somewhere?

I love to answer my own posts! Embarassed

In http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=26055 Thomasd asked (more or less) the same question and received a good hint how to solve the problem!

But I still wonder if there is no better solution!
Does vzdev only exists for creating that missing /dev/pty? Then it should be easy (at least for someone with enough knowledge) to update that package so this problem will disappear...

Almost everyone who uses OpenVZ should have this problem (at least if he has to update/install udev)!

Have fun,
drups

P.S.: In my case I 'needed' udev only because I wanted to install ImageMagick, so I just downloaded the udev*rpm and used 'rpm -ivh --justdb udev*rpm' to let rpm think it's there. After that I installed ImageMagick without having the problems with the login. .. I don't know if that is a good solution, but in my case it is!

Re: vzdev will be removed by udev?! [message #35589 is a reply to message #30337] Tue, 07 April 2009 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kako is currently offline  Kako
Another option would be the following script, which should create all missing devices on boot. It should be simply registered in /etc/rc.d/rc.local for work.

#!/bin/bash
#
# This script creates all missing devices on the VPS (openVZ),
# that are removed do updates on udev
# @author       Claudio Thomas, 2009
# @filename     /etc/rc.d/make_vzdev
#
# At first check if recreation is needed
if [ -c /dev/ptyp0 ]; then
        # All seems to be ok, so we are already finished
        exit 0;
fi
# VPS seems to forgot all vzdevices
# force recreation

# ptmx and pty's are needed to enter the VPS with vzctl enter <VPS> and other, so this are the first we will need!
MAKEDEV /dev/ptmx
MAKEDEV /dev/pty
# .../dev/pzyzf

# weitere
MAKEDEV /dev/core
# MAKEDEV /dev/fd would create a lot more than we need, so only make a symlink
ln -sf /proc/self/fd /dev/fd
MAKEDEV /dev/full
MAKEDEV /dev/kmem
MAKEDEV /dev/mem
MAKEDEV /dev/port
MAKEDEV /dev/ptmx
MAKEDEV /dev/ram
#... and also many other /dev/ram...
MAKEDEV /dev/random
MAKEDEV /dev/shm
# is needed for example ssh-connections!
MAKEDEV /dev/urandom
MAKEDEV /dev/zero

Re: vzdev will be removed by udev?! [message #41846 is a reply to message #30331] Wed, 23 February 2011 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thyson121 is currently offline  thyson121
I had a similar problem sometime ago and had sought professional help. They told me that I needed to uninstall udev. I did that and it solved the issue. I am pretty sure udev is the chief culprit in this case also. I am of the view that drups will have to get rid of udev in order to solve the issue.

"ALL IS WELL"
Re: vzdev will be removed by udev?! [message #42087 is a reply to message #30331] Fri, 25 February 2011 05:13 Go to previous message
Ales is currently offline  Ales
That was most likely the correct solution. But... the last post asking for answers in this thread was made on Wed, 21 May 2008.

You know... almost 3 years ago. Very Happy
Previous Topic: Strange problems on New Node (1month)
Next Topic: Question on speed HDD on servers under VPS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 12:11:42 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01739 seconds