OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Multiple interfaces and subnets on HN
Multiple interfaces and subnets on HN [message #29131] Sun, 06 April 2008 07:42 Go to next message
mastermindpro
I have a HN with two physical network interfaces connected to two subnets. I want VE's to have addresses in both subnets. I read through the extensive and confusing wiki article on using private IP's for Hardware Nodes, but it's not clear what I need to do to accomplish what I want.

Can I just have two venet interfaces per VE? If so, are the routing tables taken care of automatically?
Re: Multiple interfaces and subnets on HN [message #29150 is a reply to message #29131] Mon, 07 April 2008 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

mastermindpro wrote on Sun, 06 April 2008 11:42

I have a HN with two physical network interfaces connected to two subnets. I want VE's to have addresses in both subnets. I read through the extensive and confusing wiki article on using private IP's for Hardware Nodes, but it's not clear what I need to do to accomplish what I want.

Can I just have two venet interfaces per VE? If so, are the routing tables taken care of automatically?

I guess what you want is just
vzctl set CTID --ipadd a.b.c.d --ipadd e.f.g.h --save

and that's it. Here a.b.c.d is an IP address from the first subnet, and e.f.g.h is an IP address from the second subnet.

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Multiple interfaces and subnets on HN [message #29164 is a reply to message #29150] Mon, 07 April 2008 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dahas is currently offline  dahas
VE is like direct connected and don't need special ip rule to pass the HN.
Imagine a tower and each floor represent a VE machine but all use the same exit or enter to the building. Exit and enter represent the networks adapters.
At least using venet adapter.

P.S. When using 2 ip-s or more inside VE don't forget when You try to ping to select the correct interface it's happened to forget that Smile
so try ping a.b.c.x -I a.b.c.d
Re: Multiple interfaces and subnets on HN [message #29167 is a reply to message #29131] Tue, 08 April 2008 01:43 Go to previous message
mastermindpro
Shoot...it was that easy?

Perhaps someone should review the wiki article I mentioned. It leads the reader to believe that it's far more difficult to pull that off.
Previous Topic: network problem
Next Topic: problem with last kernel/2.6.18/028stab053.5 vps kernel: unregister_netdevice
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 21 00:37:48 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01437 seconds