OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » server crash
server crash [message #2831] Sat, 22 April 2006 08:52 Go to next message
Xandrian is currently offline  Xandrian

hi,

i've got a little problem with my server/openvz Sad

i am using 025test009 on a amd athlon 64 x2 4200+ server with two gb ram and two sata hdds. somtimes the server runs about four days, sometimes only two hours then he crashes. the systems reboots without any messages in the log. hardware is fine. i checked every components and change also mainboard, cpu and ram.

first i thought it's a problem with the vz-reboot cron-job. by the first crashes this was the last log entry and only a view seconds before the crash. but i've got also the problem after i commented it out...

i cannot give you more information because i don't have it. any ideas?

cu tb.

ps: i am using it on ubuntu linux. of course with 2.6.16 sources from kernel.org...

[Updated on: Sat, 22 April 2006 09:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: server crash [message #2835 is a reply to message #2831] Sat, 22 April 2006 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

So as I understand the system just reboots unexpectedly -- there is no kernel panic, oops or something. Am I got that right?

Is is remote or local server? Can you attach a serial cable to it and use it for collecting kernel logs (I can give you detailed info of how to implement that)?

Can you try any other kernel, like, our latest stable one?

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: server crash [message #2838 is a reply to message #2835] Sat, 22 April 2006 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
frankfischer is currently offline  frankfischer
I have had the exact same problem with complete different hardware. (once a Pentium D 820 Dual Core 2.8 GHz with Supermicro PDSMi, second tested hardware was Pentium 4E 3 GHz on Supermicro P4SCE, each 4GB ECC RAM).
My observation was that the more the vps' were under load, the faster the problem arised. After switching back to a stable kernel (2.6.8-022stab075.1-smp) the problems were gone.
This leads me to the question if the new kernels (>2.6.15) were feature complete or if major parts concerning the resource allocation/control where missing - but I am too lazy to find it out by myself, becaus of the stable kernel "just works" .

Regards,

Frank
Re: server crash [message #2839 is a reply to message #2835] Sat, 22 April 2006 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message

hi,

thanks for your reply. right no panic, oops or so.only a reboot (of course with the following of crashed mysql dbs...).

i can reproduce the problem with greating a higher load on the vps. looks like frank posted...

it's a remote server with no opportunity to attach a serial cable.sry. i reproduced it with a peppercon lara on the machine and there's realy no message.

there's also no chance to go back on the stable kernel. i failed to compile the 2.6.8 on ubuntu because of the gcc version. a lot of people have the same problem and i found some patches in the internet but noone workt Sad

regards and a good night.

cu tb
Re: server crash [message #2844 is a reply to message #2839] Sun, 23 April 2006 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

Can you please post the errors you get when you try to recompile 2.6.8 kernel, along with the information about your gcc version -- to a separate thread, or right to bugzilla.openvz.org?

Kir Kolyshkin
Re: server crash [message #2845 is a reply to message #2844] Sun, 23 April 2006 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

hej!

yes i will to it today. but it's no bug of openvz is a problem with the kernel. i've got the same problem with a unpatched version of it...

gcc version 4.0.2 20050808 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.0.1-4ubuntu9)

cu tb.
Re: server crash [message #2856 is a reply to message #2845] Mon, 24 April 2006 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dev is currently offline  dev

I remember we fixed compilation with gcc4. Can you provide gcc messages and we will help to compile a stable kernel for you and fix it in next versions also.

Another question: do you experience the same problem with kernel reboots on 2.6.16 with prebuilt kernels?
is it i686 or x86-64?

Re: server crash [message #2858 is a reply to message #2856] Mon, 24 April 2006 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

i posted the messages in a new topic - like kir told me Wink

it's a amd64 -> x86_64 system

with the 2.6.16 i have no problems to compile it...

cu tb.
Re: server crash [message #2909 is a reply to message #2858] Wed, 26 April 2006 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message

hej,

the system is running stable for nearly three days but i think it will reboot in the next 24 hours... the last four hours i got more and more messages, that one vps cannot fork. it's only a small webserver with a minimal load and with 1 gb allocated ram... much enough to work fine - i thought :/

i will not restart the machine to see what happened... the last times it was the same. a lot of "cannot fork" messages and then a view hours a later the crash.

maybe here's a bug/problem with the ressource limitation/handling...

cu tb.
Re: server crash [message #2910 is a reply to message #2909] Wed, 26 April 2006 17:38 Go to previous message
dev is currently offline  dev

Xandrian, can you give me an access to the node to monitor it a bit before it died?
if so, send via email dev at openvz dot org

[Updated on: Wed, 26 April 2006 17:38]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: ipt_state missing in 2.6.16?
Next Topic: UnionFS and OpenVZ
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 02 04:49:27 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01837 seconds