OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Config file not found
Config file not found [message #28053] Fri, 07 March 2008 09:29 Go to next message
jmelyn is currently offline  jmelyn
Hello,

As I check the full installation I mean, re-install everything in a straight forward way, I've just discovered a warning. At the VE creation stage, I've got the message (of course VEid is not 123 and template is not abc, just to explain):
# vzctl create 123 --ostemplate abc
Creating VE private area (abc)
Warning: configuration file for distribution abc not found default used
Performing postcreate actions
VE private area was created

1) What is the file missing? Because /etc/vz/conf/abc.conf really exists and seems to be used to create /etc/vz/conf/123.conf!
2) What is the default file used?

Thanx in advance...
Re: Config file not found [message #28058 is a reply to message #28053] Fri, 07 March 2008 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

Quote:

1) What is the file missing? Because /etc/vz/conf/abc.conf really exists and seems to be used to create /etc/vz/conf/123.conf!

1. The --ostemplate argument telling vzctl which distribution to use to create this container. It refers to /vz/template/cache/abc.tar.gz file.

2. The missing file in the error message is /etc/vz/dists/abc.conf -- a distribution-specific file telling how to tune various settings (such as IP addresses) inside this specific distro. Out-of-the-box vzctl supports fedora, redhat, suse, debian, gentoo, archlinux, altlinux and some other distros. It does not support a distribution called abc, so you should take care of it.

3. File /etc/vz/conf/abc.conf is never used.

4. If you want to specify an initial config for a container (with stuff like UBC parameters, disk quota etc.) , this is done with --config argument. See man vzctl for details.

Hope that helps.

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Config file not found [message #28066 is a reply to message #28053] Fri, 07 March 2008 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ugob is currently offline  ugob
Look into /etc/vz/vz.conf:

## Defaults for VEs
VE_ROOT=/home/vz/root/$VEID
VE_PRIVATE=/home/vz/private/$VEID
CONFIGFILE="vps.basic"
DEF_OSTEMPLATE="centos-4"

The config file used in this case is /etc/vz/conf/ve-vps.basic.conf-sample

Please read the manual before asking questions:
http://download.openvz.org/doc/OpenVZ-Users-Guide.pdf

Please have a look at the wiki before asking questions:
http://wiki.openvz.org/Main_Page
Re: Config file not found [message #28075 is a reply to message #28053] Fri, 07 March 2008 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jmelyn is currently offline  jmelyn
Thank you for the fast replies.

Instead of abc, I'm going to write a placeholder <xxx>. From the two previous posts, this is what I've understood:

1) In /etc/vz/dists dir are scripts to mainly manage network so that VEs can use network whatever the distro is. The name of the script used is <myDist>.conf and must be the same as the template /vz/template/cache/<myDist>.tar.gz. The placeholder <myDist> is taken from the file /etc/vz/vz.conf at the line: DEF_OSTEMPLATE="<myDist>".

2) In /etc/vz/conf dir are settings to put limits to VEs. There is a default config file <VE_limits>.conf-sample used to create <VE_id>.conf during the VE creation. The placeholder <VE_limits> is taken from /etc/vz/vz.conf at the line: CONFIGFILE="<VE_limits>".

3) Since /etc/vz/vz.conf got the correct names, there is no need to give arguments to the create command:
# vzctl create 123

4) A limit for one specific VE can be overwritten through the command:
# vzctl set <VE_id> ... --save
and is saved in /etc/vz/conf/<VE_id>.conf file.

Is all that correct?
Re: Config file not found [message #28241 is a reply to message #28075] Wed, 12 March 2008 13:15 Go to previous message
kir is currently offline  kir

jmelyn wrote on Fri, 07 March 2008 17:13

1) In /etc/vz/dists dir are scripts to mainly manage network so that VEs can use network whatever the distro is. The name of the script used is <myDist>.conf and must be the same as the template /vz/template/cache/<myDist>.tar.gz.

It should not really be equal. First vzctl looks for the exact myDist.conf file, if this file is unavailable then it tries to remove everything after and including the last dash '-' from my dist and tries again. So, in case myDist is someos-1.2.3-minimal, vzctl tries for someos-1.2.3-minimal.conf, then someos-1.2.3.conf, then someos.conf.

Quote:

The placeholder <myDist> is taken from the file /etc/vz/vz.conf at the line: DEF_OSTEMPLATE="<myDist>".

I would say "default" instead of "placeholder", but it's a matter of taste.

Quote:

2) In /etc/vz/conf dir are settings to put limits to VEs. There is a default config file <VE_limits>.conf-sample

In fact the name is ve-<VE_limits>.conf-sample.

Quote:

used to create <VE_id>.conf during the VE creation. The placeholder <VE_limits> is taken from /etc/vz/vz.conf at the line: CONFIGFILE="<VE_limits>".

Again I'd say "default".

Quote:

3) Since /etc/vz/vz.conf got the correct names, there is no need to give arguments to the create command:
# vzctl create 123

Right.

Quote:

4) A limit for one specific VE can be overwritten through the command:
# vzctl set <VE_id> ... --save
and is saved in /etc/vz/conf/<VE_id>.conf file.

Right.

PS If you put that all to wiki.openvz.org that'd be great.

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Previous Topic: CentOS 5 + X Windows Installation
Next Topic: VE: ***: failed to start with err=-11
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 09:56:25 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01643 seconds