OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Networking Problem...
Networking Problem... [message #27645] Thu, 21 February 2008 14:49 Go to next message
joelee is currently offline  joelee
Hi All,

I noticed if I shutdown network interface (ETH0) via the Hardware Node and later bring it back up the VPS remain down or does not respond - I have to restart the VPS. I just wanted to know if that is normal?

Status of all VPS are in running mode but does not respond to pings. Note: For no particular reason, I had just shutdown eth0 overnight and in morning I enabled it BUT as mentioned the VPSes seem to remain down.

Joe
Re: Networking Problem... [message #27648 is a reply to message #27645] Thu, 21 February 2008 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Xahil is currently offline  Xahil
I think your VPSes are running normaly, you probably can do "vzctl enter <veid>". They just lost network.

You probably need to restore some eth0 settings to make it work again. On my testing system (with veth), after disabling and enabling interface on HN, VPS work as before.

[Updated on: Thu, 21 February 2008 16:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Networking Problem... [message #27673 is a reply to message #27645] Fri, 22 February 2008 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hi,

yes it is normal situation.
when you down network interface your arp table on HN becomes clear. So when you up eth0 you have to add appropriate record to arp table. When you do "vzctl restart" it writes a necessary record.
If you don't want to restart your VPS you can add this record manually like it vzctl utility does:
ip neigh add proxy VE_IP dev eth0

VE_IP - your VE ip address.

Re: Networking Problem... [message #27699 is a reply to message #27673] Fri, 22 February 2008 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joelee is currently offline  joelee
Hi all, thanks for the comments...
Maratus, per your comments below about:
If you don't want to restart your VPS you can add this record manually like it vzctl utility does:
ip neigh add proxy VE_IP dev eth0

Do I need to enter this command for every VPS? If so, any other quick way to enter this command once to be applied to all VE's?

Also, the above command is entered via the HN - Right? Can you give me the exact syntax to use this?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Joe

Re: Networking Problem... [message #27706 is a reply to message #27699] Sat, 23 February 2008 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maratrus is currently offline  maratrus
Hi,

Sure.
Let's assume that your VPS has an IP address 1.2.3.4
Then you have to enter the following command via HN:
ip neigh add proxy 1.2.3.4 dev eth0

And also the same command for all of your VPSes. I don't know the quick way to do it for all IPs but you can create a script which will do this operation.
Re: Networking Problem... [message #27749 is a reply to message #27645] Tue, 26 February 2008 08:06 Go to previous message
xemul is currently offline  xemul
You have to check your routing tables before and after your down-n-up of eth0.

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Previous Topic: Socket sharing, bind mounting, mount scripts: directory gets wiped?
Next Topic: Setting Disk Quota & Inodes.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 16:39:41 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02393 seconds