OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » *SOLVED* sudo in ubuntu template
*SOLVED* sudo in ubuntu template [message #26877] Mon, 04 February 2008 16:54 Go to next message
dantrevino is currently offline  dantrevino
How do I get sudo to work in the ubuntu template? I added users to the group 'admin', but wehn i 'sudo <command>' nothing happens.

[Updated on: Wed, 06 February 2008 04:47] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: sudo in ubuntu template [message #26940 is a reply to message #26877] Tue, 05 February 2008 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

The best way to troubleshoot it would be to check everything:

1. Are you indeed in group «admins» ("id" should tell).
2. Is /etc/sudoers set up so users from «admins» group can use sudo
3. Is there anything bad in system logs (/var/log/messages I guess)?

If the above won't help, try to strace/ltrace sudo invocation and see what's wrong (or post the details here).

PS I will try to reproduce the issue myself when I have time (in a few days I think).

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: sudo in ubuntu template [message #26941 is a reply to message #26877] Wed, 06 February 2008 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
curx

it's possible that the group admin is disabled in the sudoers file (-> /etc/sudoers ) and/or the group admin doesn't exist, so take a look to /var/log/auth.log

icon9.gif  Re: sudo in ubuntu template [message #26943 is a reply to message #26877] Wed, 06 February 2008 03:17 Go to previous message
dantrevino is currently offline  dantrevino
ok, somebody slap me.

I did figure it out after the post. I had created and added the users to the 'admin' group, which is standard for ubuntu, but didnt even look in the sudoers file. I had just assumed admin group sudo rights were enabled.

The sudoers file that comes with the template does have a line that can be commented out for the 'sudo' group, not 'admin'. But either way, obviously the sudoers file needs to be edited and I shoulda checked it.

dan
Previous Topic: HOw to setting VE network dhcp ?
Next Topic: Kernel Panic
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun May 19 18:54:01 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00442 seconds