OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » VE mounted with NFS ?
VE mounted with NFS ? [message #25964] Sat, 12 January 2008 16:15 Go to next message
rafale is currently offline  rafale
Hello,

I use fedora 7 templates.
I would like to know whether it's possible or not to deploy VEs on HN with NFS (v3 or v4) mounts..
I encounter troublesshoots with that .. when I type df it's impossible for the VE to display the disk usage.
therefore I have also a problem when I want to update the VE

Thank you Smile
Re: VE mounted with NFS ? [message #25965 is a reply to message #25964] Sat, 12 January 2008 16:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dev is currently offline  dev

I would not recommend having VEs on NFS for multiple reasons:
1. NFS is not fully POSIX-compliant
2. if NFS server dies for some reason for some time there is huge chance that the whole NFS client node will freeze and stop working until everything is rebooted.

http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: VE mounted with NFS ? [message #25966 is a reply to message #25965] Sat, 12 January 2008 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok dev
Thanks for your answer .. and what would you use instead ? NAS maybe?
Re: VE mounted with NFS ? [message #25974 is a reply to message #25966] Sun, 13 January 2008 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rickb is currently offline  rickb
Hi, I am using fiber channel for remote storage on over 25 openvz nodes with great success. its not the cheapest option but its works flawlessly. next on the list is to use rhel5's iscsi driver for remote storage, which I have read good things about. if you do not have the finances for FC hardware, check out this option.

once you move to remote storage for the VEs, there are so many advantages for providing near HA solutions, instant migrations, and node hardware failure isn't a big catastrophe.

Rick

-------------
Common Terms I post with: http://wiki.openvz.org/Category:Definitions

UBC. Learn it, love it, live it: http://wiki.openvz.org/Proc/user_beancounters
Re: VE mounted with NFS ? [message #25979 is a reply to message #25974] Sun, 13 January 2008 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks rickb

I'm going to study more precisely the different solutions !
If anybody else has others solutions .. Smile

Moreover I would like to know if the issue with Nfs mounted Ve will be fixed in future versions
Re: VE mounted with NFS ? [message #27040 is a reply to message #25979] Thu, 07 February 2008 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ebasley is currently offline  ebasley
Important subject because even if your needs is to virtualize linux VEs, for the choice beetween kvm and openvz, in my context, the key point is nfs !

I'm trying openvz for 2 weeks, within a DRP (Disaster Recovery Plan) architecture, so I need to be able to migrate VE and data from one site to another. Data are duplicated on 2 NAS and access with nfs (may use iscsi, but nfs so simple).

I can't find documentation one how to build openvz solutions with online migration with a shared scénario.

It's clear with kvm, U can store VE's image and data one nfs and migrate between nodes.

But with openvz, it's obvious that live migration and dump doesn't work with nfs partitions mounted (bind) inside VE, we are even not sure it will be possible in a future release !

I can't even find the right process to migrate a VE with private directory and data mounts with isci.

If someone can help me ?

Regards and many thanks for openvz team for their great work.
Re: VE mounted with NFS ? [message #36724 is a reply to message #25974] Mon, 13 July 2009 18:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gurtaj is currently offline  gurtaj
Hello, everybody. Has anybody implemented remote storage with the iSCSI protocol? Any results to report?

I'm interested in using remote storage, but since NFS is not the way to go, I'm looking at other alternatives.

Thanks,
Gaston
Re: VE mounted with NFS ? [message #36725 is a reply to message #36724] Mon, 13 July 2009 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello,

You can consider the use of Lustre which is a cluster file system (open-source) developped and maintained by Sun.
That is the way I finally did in order to store the VE remotely.
Here is the link : http://wiki.lustre.org/index.php/Main_Page

This solution might be quite hard to implement depending on the kernel you got etc. But the result is highly enjoyable.

I hope this helps.
Regards
Re: VE mounted with NFS ? [message #36726 is a reply to message #36725] Mon, 13 July 2009 21:18 Go to previous message
gurtaj is currently offline  gurtaj
Thanks for the suggestion. Wink
Previous Topic: Networking with OpenVz on Debian
Next Topic: MAC Address
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 17:01:53 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01741 seconds