OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Can not suspend VE with nfs mounts - even with bind mounts to HN
Can not suspend VE with nfs mounts - even with bind mounts to HN [message #22849] Tue, 06 November 2007 09:02 Go to next message
piavlo is currently offline  piavlo
Since checkpointing does not work then there are nfs mounts inside VE, I've mounted the nfs partition in HN and bind mouted it in VE.
root> cat /etc/vz/conf/102.mount 
#!/bin/bash

mount -n --bind /users/staff /vz/root/102/users/staff
exit ${?}

Still gives the error:

root> vzctl chkpnt 102 --suspend
Setting up checkpoint...
suspend...
Can not suspend VE: Invalid argument
unsupported fs type nfs
Checkpointing failed

The nfs mount is not listed in HN mtab, but is listed in VE102
mtab. And is listed both on HN & VE102 /proc/mounts.
I've tried to remove the nfs mount from VE102 mtab but it did not
help.

So it looks like there is no way to checkpoint or migrate a VE
which acts like an nfs client. Or should it still work with bind mounts?
Re: Can not suspend VE with nfs mounts - even with bind mounts to HN [message #22949 is a reply to message #22849] Wed, 07 November 2007 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump
Re: Can not suspend VE with nfs mounts - even with bind mounts to HN [message #23355 is a reply to message #22849] Thu, 15 November 2007 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can the devs comment?
Re: Can not suspend VE with nfs mounts - even with bind mounts to HN [message #23465 is a reply to message #22849] Sat, 17 November 2007 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump
Re: Can not suspend VE with nfs mounts - even with bind mounts to HN [message #23620 is a reply to message #22849] Wed, 21 November 2007 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vaverin is currently offline  vaverin
Currently nfs is not supported by checkpointing. Moreover IMHO any external mounts prevents online migration.

To migrate this VE you can umount nfs partiotion, migrate it to target node and then mount nfs again.

thank you,
Vasily Averin
Re: Can not suspend VE with nfs mounts - even with bind mounts to HN [message #23621 is a reply to message #23620] Wed, 21 November 2007 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mount -n mounts partition without writing into /etc/mtab.
All actual mounts are visible via /proc/mounts file
Re: Can not suspend VE with nfs mounts - even with bind mounts to HN [message #23631 is a reply to message #23620] Wed, 21 November 2007 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vaverin wrote on Wed, 21 November 2007 10:33

Currently nfs is not supported by checkpointing. Moreover IMHO any external mounts prevents online migration.

But In my previous post where i wrote what i have problem
checkpointing a VE with internal only mounts, i was suggested to
use bind mounts to solve the problem
http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=tree&th=4251&mid =21887&&rev=&reveal=

Quote:

To migrate this VE you can umount nfs partiotion, migrate it to target node and then mount nfs again.

And if there are processes accessing the nfs mounted fs, i would not want to stop them too, since it would be almost the same as
complete shut down of VE, and it's not really live migration anymore.
NFS is a very commonly used feature, is there a chance that NFS checkpointing implementation will get a high priority in the openvz TODO list?

Thanks
Alex
Re: Can not suspend VE with nfs mounts - even with bind mounts to HN [message #23640 is a reply to message #23631] Wed, 21 November 2007 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Alex,

thank you for link to old thread.

Unfortunately Andrey Mirkin is on leave now and will be accessible on the next week. Let's wait his return, he should know more than me.

thank you,
Vasily Averin
Re: Can not suspend VE with nfs mounts - even with bind mounts to HN [message #24209 is a reply to message #23631] Mon, 03 December 2007 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrey Mirkin is currently offline  Andrey Mirkin
Hello!

Can you please specify what kernel version you use.

Andrey Mirkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Can not suspend VE with nfs mounts - even with bind mounts to HN [message #24226 is a reply to message #24209] Mon, 03 December 2007 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2.6.18-openvz-028stab049
Re: Can not suspend VE with nfs mounts - even with bind mounts to HN [message #24326 is a reply to message #24226] Tue, 04 December 2007 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello!

Can you please try attached patch.
With this patch you should be able to migrate a VE with bind-mounted nfs partition.
  • Attachment: diff-cpt-nfs
    (Size: 0.46KB, Downloaded 241 times)

Andrey Mirkin
Re: Can not suspend VE with nfs mounts - even with bind mounts to HN [message #25451 is a reply to message #24326] Wed, 26 December 2007 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry for a delayed reply , i was overwhelmed with other stuff
with the patch applied and bind mounts the suspend and live migration work ok.
Will this patch be applied to the official openvz patch set?
Any news with implementing support for native nfs mount suspend?

Thanks
Alex
Re: Can not suspend VE with nfs mounts - even with bind mounts to HN [message #25455 is a reply to message #25451] Wed, 26 December 2007 09:54 Go to previous message
Hello,

I have suggested this patch just like a quick hack.
I will try to find better sollution, which can be included in official openvz kernel.

We plan to implement native NFS support in online migration, but right now I can't tell when it will be implemented.

Andrey Mirkin
Previous Topic: Running OpenVZ within a VMWare VM
Next Topic: SSH/Apache on Virtual machines
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 23 22:22:41 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02040 seconds