OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Where to run my firewall? An HN or VE
Where to run my firewall? An HN or VE [message #22483] Mon, 29 October 2007 19:53 Go to next message
bwoo is currently offline  bwoo
I'm not a security or networking expert, so I'm interested to know the pros/cons of running my firewall on the HN and essentially, making my HN into my router or running the firewall on a VE and making my HN simply a hardware conduit.

Ultimately, I want to get rid of my hardware router, and move it all onto my OpenVZ machine, and behind it, I want to run multiple VE's for mail, web, etc. I believe that in the end, it might help to speed things up around my network (just a belief!)

I'm thinking that the preferred method might be to run my firewall on my HN, along with DNS, DHCP and OpenVPN services.

Re: Where to run my firewall? An HN or VE [message #22489 is a reply to message #22483] Mon, 29 October 2007 21:00 Go to previous message
Valmont is currently offline  Valmont
DHCP - HN. Because in other case yo have to use at vps not venet, but veth device. It is has less speed and less secure.
DNS - VPS.
OpenVPN. - Please check forum, I didn't use it. By the way, forum can answer on all your questions already Smile

Firewall. It is depends on what you want. If you will give some privileges to another admin, then vps is preferable.
If you want more restrictive configuration and you are the only one system administrator - then HN is preferable.

[Updated on: Mon, 29 October 2007 21:01]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic: snmp limit? / VE monitoring
Next Topic: can't install openvz with yum why?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 11:14:54 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01571 seconds