OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » cannot run ntpd as non root user under VE[Solved]
cannot run ntpd as non root user under VE[Solved] [message #20318] Sun, 16 September 2007 11:45 Go to next message
piavlo is currently offline  piavlo
Hi, just found out that i cannot run ntpd daemon as non root
user under VE , since ntpd uses lcap and linux capabilites are disabled in OpenVZ, so is there other way to run ntpd as non root
user?

Thanks
Alex

[Updated on: Mon, 17 September 2007 09:47]

Report message to a moderator

Re: cannot run ntpd as non root user under VE [message #20322 is a reply to message #20318] Sun, 16 September 2007 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
piavlo wrote on Sun, 16 September 2007 13:45

Hi, just found out that i cannot run ntpd daemon as non root
user under VE , since ntpd uses lcap and linux capabilites are disabled in OpenVZ, so is there other way to run ntpd as non root
user?

Also i see in the ntpd log inside VE
step-systime: Operation not permitted
probably meaning the system time cannot be changed from VE.
Is there a way to run ntpd server inside VE?
Maybe ntpd can be configured not to modify the system time , but report to the clients it's internal and not HN VE0 time?

Thanks
Re: cannot run ntpd as non root user under VE [message #20353 is a reply to message #20322] Mon, 17 September 2007 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vaverin is currently offline  vaverin
Hello Alexander,

time inside VE is not virtualized and all VEs uses the same clocksource taken from HN. If you are sure that you want to allow to change system time from inside VE, you can allow CAP_SYS_TIME capability via "vzctl set <VEID> --capability sys_time:on", IMHO it should be enough for make ntpd working.

Thank you,
Vasily Averin
Re: cannot run ntpd as non root user under VE [message #20360 is a reply to message #20353] Mon, 17 September 2007 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks a lot
ntp & openvz [message #45052 is a reply to message #20318] Tue, 24 January 2012 12:16 Go to previous message
NStorm is currently offline  NStorm
Reanimating this old thread. Shocked

I want to run ntpd under openvz container to serve clients only, so they can sync with me.
I.e. HN runs ntpd to sync system time from external sources. One of CT runs ntpd to allow local clients to sync from it.
I don't want to sync clients with HN, neither I want to allow CT to modify system time. Is this possible?
Previous Topic: Kernel panic 2.6.32-042stab044.17
Next Topic: Updating VZ.CONF and restarting without rebooting VMs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 23 05:10:55 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01581 seconds