OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » smbfs/ cifs inside VE
icon7.gif  smbfs/ cifs inside VE [message #4994] Mon, 07 August 2006 20:49 Go to next message
Monarch is currently offline  Monarch
maybe I didn't look hard enough but I was unable to find any information why openVZ denies to mount a smbfs-share inside a VE.

I managed to setup the VE and even networking seems to work perfectly. I can ping, I can do name-resolving, but everytime I try to mount a smbfs inside the VE, I get:

dev128:~# mount -t cifs //192.168.1.30/test /mnt
Password:
mount error: cifs filesystem not supported by the system
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

Note: the command works perfectly on the Hardwarenode (host-system)

My question is: is the errormessage correct? I am used to get false or misleading errormessages from smbfs/ cifs......
Re: smbfs/ cifs inside VE [message #5001 is a reply to message #4994] Tue, 08 August 2006 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
smbfs/cifs isn't virtualized now,
you can't use it inside VE.
All available in VE filesystems resides in /proc/filestystems
file inside VE.

You can do the following to make smb shares available in VE:

On HOST (!):
mount -t cifs //192.168.1.30/test /mn
mount --bind /mn /vz/root/101/mn

After that you can see contents of //192.168.1.30/test
inside VE in /mn directory.
You can automate this process using 101.mount and 101.umount
scripts in conf directory of OpenVZ.

HTH,
vass.

[Updated on: Tue, 08 August 2006 05:30]

Report message to a moderator

Re: smbfs/ cifs inside VE [message #5007 is a reply to message #5001] Tue, 08 August 2006 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Monarch is currently offline  Monarch
Thanks for the quick response and hint...
Re: smbfs/ cifs inside VE [message #8627 is a reply to message #5001] Wed, 29 November 2006 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dionstarfire is currently offline  dionstarfire
I have tried what you suggested but when I enter my VE the "bind" mount points still do not show content but the hardware host does have the mount information.

Re: smbfs/ cifs inside VE [message #8641 is a reply to message #8627] Thu, 30 November 2006 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can you, please, provide more information. Actually we need all actions you do: every command you type in bash and every answer you recieve after it.

Thanks!
Re: smbfs/ cifs inside VE [message #15183 is a reply to message #4994] Fri, 20 July 2007 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jpastore is currently offline  jpastore
I was able to follow the instructions successfully. I can't seem to locate the mount/umount files in the conf directory (not entirely familiar with the file system layout) Can you please point me in the right direction?

I realize that 101.mount probably refers to [ve number].mount

On the host I did a umount for share that I did the mount --bind and was still able to access the files in the VE. I had to umount the directory in the VE from the host as well.

Another related question I have is (which may be off topic):

I wrote a quick bash script to backup some stuff to an external HDD. This drive may be off or not plugged in. Is there a way to test if the mount was successful before continuing? I guess I could just touch a file on the external HDD and test for that when running the backup. I was just looking for a more elegant and definitive solution.

Thanks!
Re: smbfs/ cifs inside VE [message #15244 is a reply to message #15183] Tue, 24 July 2007 05:57 Go to previous message
Hello,

if you use vzctl from RPM, <veid>.mount and <veid>.umount files reside in /etc/vz/conf/ directory. BTW, <veid>.umount scripts are not very necessary: everything will be umounted automatically on VE stop. But you should mount with -n option in mount sctipt then...

HTH,
Vasily
Previous Topic: Upgrading hardware (memory) re-write 0.conf for HN VE0?
Next Topic: *RESOLVED* Using dhcpd within VE without relay agent possible?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:38:45 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01763 seconds