OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » *SOLVED* Install OpenVZ on Fedora 7?
icon5.gif  *SOLVED* Install OpenVZ on Fedora 7? [message #14473] Fri, 29 June 2007 00:16 Go to next message
jonas is currently offline  jonas
Being new to OpenVZ, I would very much like to try it out. But unfortunately I just upgraded my main computer to Fedora 7.

Is it possible to run OpenVZ since it ships with 2.6.21 kernel? In the kernel archives for openVZ I can only find patches for >=2.6.20 Sad

So has anyone sucessfully run OpenVZ on Fedora 7?

[Updated on: Mon, 02 July 2007 05:36] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Install OpenVZ on Fedora 7? [message #14487 is a reply to message #14473] Fri, 29 June 2007 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
I recommend you to use 2.6.18-based OpenVZ kernel from RPM. It should be installable and work on your system smoothly. If there will be some problem - just report us.

Thanks,
Vasily.
Re: Install OpenVZ on Fedora 7? [message #14501 is a reply to message #14473] Fri, 29 June 2007 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rickb is currently offline  rickb
Fedora 7 was built around a very late kernel version, newer then 2.6.18. When you install openvz 2.6.18, you will need to force the rpm install because many packages are configured to require a newer kernel version. Just a heads up.

-------------
Common Terms I post with: http://wiki.openvz.org/Category:Definitions

UBC. Learn it, love it, live it: http://wiki.openvz.org/Proc/user_beancounters
Re: Install OpenVZ on Fedora 7? [message #14507 is a reply to message #14501] Fri, 29 June 2007 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
greno is currently offline  greno
Why is a special kernel required for OpenVZ?

And if special features are needed could this not be done by just creating a dynamic kernel module that could be loaded into any distro kernel.

I too have all my machines on Fedora and the kernels are all 2.6.20-1.2952 or higher. I've tried dropping back in kernels and you get into all kinds of problems due to dependencies.

Re: Install OpenVZ on Fedora 7? [message #14508 is a reply to message #14507] Fri, 29 June 2007 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rickb is currently offline  rickb
Hi, I think the first error is using Fedora in a server environment. Fedora is a very fast moving distro which requires constant updates or reinstalls to stay supported. This outlook doesn't align itself very well with a server, where you want massive uptime and proven software versioning. The bottom line is that the fedora kernel team works on later versions then the openvz team- this has been the case for a long time. I wouldn't say its particularly bad, as the very latest versions of 2.6 are rather beta and a proving ground.

>Why is a special kernel required for OpenVZ?
The changes are so vast that modules cannot perform the necessary modifications to the core structures among many other things that the devs could go into.

>I've tried dropping back in kernels and you get into all kinds of problems due to dependencies.

Are you referring to rpm dependencies or actual software incompatabilities. since the kernel api doesn't change much from version to version, your user software should be largely unaware of the kernel version. As for rpm dependencies, these are more warnings and suggestions then actual problems.

Drop back to centos 4 or 5 and a lot of the woes will disappear. I operate over 200 openvz servers now, all on centos 4 base OS with great success.

-------------
Common Terms I post with: http://wiki.openvz.org/Category:Definitions

UBC. Learn it, love it, live it: http://wiki.openvz.org/Proc/user_beancounters
Re: Install OpenVZ on Fedora 7? [message #14509 is a reply to message #14508] Fri, 29 June 2007 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rickb wrote on Fri, 29 June 2007 11:33

Hi, I think the first error is using Fedora in a server environment. Fedora is a very fast moving distro which requires constant updates or reinstalls to stay supported. This outlook doesn't align itself very well with a server, where you want massive uptime and proven software versioning. The bottom line is that the fedora kernel team works on later versions then the openvz team- this has been the case for a long time. I wouldn't say its particularly bad, as the very latest versions of 2.6 are rather beta and a proving ground.

Drop back to centos 4 or 5 and a lot of the woes will disappear. I operate over 200 openvz servers now, all on centos 4 base OS with great success.

A lot of this has to do with what type of philosophy you want to follow. I like having support for all new hardware. I prefer to deal with the other problems. I understand that most people view it the other way round. Anyway, CentOS 4 makes no sense, it's EOL. CentOS 5 does, it's basically just FC6. But I would prefer to use Fedora as I like working with all the advancements. I provide a lot of feedback in bugzilla and I think Fedora relies on folks like me to see how things are performing under real conditions.

There was some discussion I saw on one of the Fedora forums about maybe Fedora supporting OpenVZ. What does this mean? Did it mean that the OpenVZ kernel changes would make it into the Fedora kernels?

Re: Install OpenVZ on Fedora 7? [message #14512 is a reply to message #14509] Fri, 29 June 2007 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is definitely work going on in upstream kernel channels relating to supporting OpenVZ and Linux-vServer. I read through a number of posts and there is a lot of discussion about partitioning and containers related to this. So I expect that eventually there would be some API of sorts that all VE vendors would play to. This way OpenVZ would probably just have us load an OpenVZ kernel module and we would be good to go. Linux-vServer same thing, they would load their module for their product.
Re: Install OpenVZ on Fedora 7? [message #14525 is a reply to message #14473] Sat, 30 June 2007 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jonas is currently offline  jonas
I gave up on the Fedora 7 thing, and installed it on an older computer running Debian etch. It worked like a charm Smile
Re: Install OpenVZ on Fedora 7? [message #14543 is a reply to message #14509] Mon, 02 July 2007 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
Hello,

you wrote:
Quote:

There was some discussion I saw on one of the Fedora forums about maybe Fedora supporting OpenVZ. What does this mean? Did it mean that the OpenVZ kernel changes would make it into the Fedora kernels?
It means that OpenVZ kernel will be included in Fedora distribution. At the moment Fedore is shipped with several kernels: kernel-up, kernel-smp, kernel-xen, ... Jus one more kernel flavor will be added: kernel-ovz (if will). At the moment Mandriva Linux distribution contents OpenVZ kernel in it.

Vasily
Re: Install OpenVZ on Fedora 7? [message #14582 is a reply to message #14543] Mon, 02 July 2007 18:54 Go to previous message
Vasily Tarasov wrote on Mon, 02 July 2007 01:35

Hello,

It means that OpenVZ kernel will be included in Fedora distribution. At the moment Fedore is shipped with several kernels: kernel-up, kernel-smp, kernel-xen, ... Jus one more kernel flavor will be added: kernel-ovz (if will). At the moment Mandriva Linux distribution contents OpenVZ kernel in it.

Vasily

I really wish that Fedora would stop that type of practice of making so many different kernels. Frameworks supporting different techologies need to be put into the kernels and then different groups/vendors/individuals can play to these API's via loadable kernel modules. I would like Fedora to get back to one kernel that can be custom tuned via loadable modules. Otherwise we'll eventually have hundreds of kernels to choose from.

Previous Topic: *SOLVED* Seg fault with quotaugidlimit
Next Topic: *RESOLVED* networking between ves
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 07 21:28:11 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01506 seconds