OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » *CLOSED* Need CPUUNITS Value for Celeron 2.4
*CLOSED* Need CPUUNITS Value for Celeron 2.4 [message #12219] Fri, 20 April 2007 19:24 Go to next message
jonwatson is currently offline  jonwatson
Hello,

As described in this post: http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=tree&goto=12058& #msg_12058

I cannot use the vzcpucheck to determine how many CPUUNITS my HN has to use. When I attempt to run it, I get:

# /usr/sbin/vzcpucheck 
ERROR: Unknown format of /proc/fairsched column: weight not found

and I can see that my /proc/fairsched file is empty:

-r--r--r-- 1 root root 0 Apr 16 09:42 /proc/fairsched

I presume that this is yet another issue with the 2.6.15-025stab014.1 kernel that I unwisely chose but am now stuck with until such time as I want to commission a new box.

What I would like help on is either:

1. Getting the vzcpucheck working, or
2. If anyone else is running a Celeron 2.4 with 1GB RAM, perhaps that person could tell me how many CPUUNITS that machine has available. Perhaps I can use the same number and approximate the functionality.

The last thing I should mention is that in this particular case I want to allow this VPS to use all of the available CPU. In a weird quirk of fate this is the only VPS on this box and may remain so for some time so it seems desireable to give it all of the resources.

Perhaps there is some way to assign all of the avaialable CPU to a VE without knowing the CPUUNITS value of the HN?

Thanks!

Jon

[Updated on: Fri, 04 May 2007 13:31] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Need CPUUNITS Value for Celeron 2.4 [message #12244 is a reply to message #12219] Mon, 23 April 2007 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kir is currently offline  kir

1. You should not rely on file size in /proc, since those files are not really files, but some interfaces from the kernel. So if you run cat /proc/fairsched and post the results here that will help us to see what the problem actually is (most probably in kernel but still makes sense to take a look).

2. Absolyte CPUUNITS value does not really makes sense, since the values set for VE made the system divide the CPU time proportionally. Say, if you have two VEs and set those cpuunits to 1000, and when run CPU intensive tasks in each VE, they will consume 50% CPU time each. If you set both VEs' cpuunits to 100, it will mean the same. If you set both VEs' cpuunits to 1, it will mean the same.

The case described above is the case when every VE has CPU-intensive tasks running, so all VEs are fighting hard for CPU time. In case one VE is doing nothing, the other one can consume all the CPU, and it doesn't matter what the cpuunits are. So, cpuunits makes sense if and only if there is not enough CPU time at the moment.

Now note that the above didn't take into account VE0 cpuunits. VE0 is quite important, since some important system processes runs in it. VE0 cpuunits should be reasonably high (not lower than those of VEs).

So, answering your question: in case of a single VE you can set its cpuunits to the same value as set for VE0 (see VE0CPUUNITS parameter in /etc/vz/vz.conf, default is 1000). That will mean your VE will have the same CPU priority as the host system itself.

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png
Re: Need CPUUNITS Value for Celeron 2.4 [message #13079 is a reply to message #12244] Fri, 18 May 2007 14:48 Go to previous message
jonwatson is currently offline  jonwatson
Sorry it took me so long to respond to this. Thanks for the information, that was helpful and seems to be working.

Jon
Previous Topic: *SOLVED* sync in VE context
Next Topic: *SOLVED* OpenVZ on PPC?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 15:57:16 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01411 seconds