OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » *SOLVED* Out of Socket Memory on the Hardware Node
*SOLVED* Out of Socket Memory on the Hardware Node [message #10220] Mon, 12 February 2007 22:24 Go to next message
jubo is currently offline  jubo
I am running about 10 VEs on a hardware node. These are primarily web servers that get a decent amount of traffic. When I check the /proc/user_beancounters I notice that the following values sometimes go over limit: tcpsndbuf,tcprcvbuf,othersockbuf. So naturally I raise them up. However, now I am starting to get some Out of Socket Memory Errors in the logs on the Hardware Node. I did the following:

Added these increased values to the sysctl.conf
net.core.rmem_max=262144
net.core.wmem_max=262144

However, I still get the error, so I was wondering if people could suggest the correct value to use here. Is the sum of all the buffer sizes of all the VEs on the hardware node the correct value?
Also, what are safe values to use if you want to ensure little or no loss of service on a web server VE if it encounters a lot of traffic.

Thanks

[Updated on: Thu, 15 February 2007 10:15] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Out of Socket Memory on the Hardware Node [message #10250 is a reply to message #10220] Tue, 13 February 2007 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
Hello,

I can suggest you the following:
- increase tcp_max_orphans (sysctl)
- increase barrier and limit (not only limit!) for numtcpsock
- increase tcp_mem (sysctl)

HTH,
Vasily

[Updated on: Tue, 13 February 2007 16:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Out of Socket Memory on the Hardware Node [message #10253 is a reply to message #10250] Tue, 13 February 2007 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily,

Thanks for the reply. Is there any sort of formula for how much tcp_mem and tcp_max_orphans to provision. According to the /proc/user_beancounters I have more than enough numtcpsock for the VEs. What I am trying to do is minimize loss of service for the web applications.
Re: Out of Socket Memory on the Hardware Node [message #10261 is a reply to message #10253] Wed, 14 February 2007 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vasily Tarasov is currently offline  Vasily Tarasov
Hello,

Unfortunately, I can't provide you an exact formula. I can only inform you under which conditions the message "Out of socket memory" appears:

Let 'count' is the number of orphaned sockets for some VE.

if (count > (VE.numtcpsock.barrier / 4) )
---> output the message

if (count > sysctl_tcp_max_orphans)
---> output the message

if (tcp_memmory_allocated > sysctl_tcp_mem[2])
---> output the message

(this is right for 028test series. I think, it's the same for 023stable series)

HTH,
Vasily.
Re: Out of Socket Memory on the Hardware Node [message #10312 is a reply to message #10261] Wed, 14 February 2007 18:31 Go to previous message
Thanks for the info, Vasily. I am going to try to bump those original parameters you mentioned and hope for the best.

-Curtis
Previous Topic: *SOLVED* Graphical Desktops cause othersockbuf failures
Next Topic: *SOLVED* Etch Packages from debian.systs.org broken?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat May 11 18:35:50 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01669 seconds