OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » *SOLVED* firewalls for vps.
Re: firewalls for vps. [message #8819 is a reply to message #8794] Thu, 07 December 2006 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
sanjooz_2002 is currently offline  sanjooz_2002
Hi dim,

Well, I have solved the main problem .i.e the loading of modules. I just edited the IPTABLES line in the /etc/sysconfig/vz file. Now it looks something like this:

IPTABLES="ipt_REJECT ipt_tos ipt_limit ipt_multiport iptable_filter iptable_mangle ipt_TCPMSS ipt_tcpmss ipt_ttl ipt_length ip_conntrack ip_conntrack_ftp ip_conntrack_irc ipt_LOG ipt_conntrack ipt_helper ipt_state iptable_nat ip_nat_ftp ip_nat_irc ipt_TOS"

Laughing !!!I know I have loaded all the modules and I am not sure if that is a good idea. But, anyways it has solved my problem partially. I have tried accessing a blocked port on my vps and as desired it was inaccessible. Now when I run the rc.firewall script I get the following output
#######################################################
setting global variables

applying general security settings to /proc filesystem

/usr/src/quicktables-2.3/rc.firewall: line 16: /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_syncookies: Operation not permitted
applying icmp rules

applying the open port(s) to the firewall rules

applying default drop policies

### quicktables is loaded ###

Now, as you can see, the only problem is the /proc/sys/netipv4/tcp_syncookies. After reading through few security related artcicles on the internet I realized that it is meant to thwart SYN attack. I looked at the permission rights for this file. it was 644. I tried changing it but to no avail (although I was logged in as root). I even tried to delete it Confused , but it still says that "operation not permitted". Any ideas on how to deal with this problem??

Thanks!!

cheers;

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message