OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » rsync problem
Re: rsync problem [message #8190 is a reply to message #8182] Thu, 09 November 2006 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
till is currently offline  till

dev wrote on Thu, 09 November 2006 14:10

> I try to rsync my server to back it up(via snapshot).
> The prog uses this cmd to do so:
> /usr/bin/rsync -azHx --delete --numeric-ids --relative
> --delete-excluded --stats --rsh="/usr/bin/ssh -c blowfish"
> root@ip.here:/ /var/cache/rsnapshot/hourly.0/myserver/

1. what do you mean by snapshot? LVM snapshot or what? rsync doesn't do any real(!) snapshots.

The program is namend rsnapshot ( http://www.rsnapshot.org/ ). Its something that generates rsync cmds and moves the old files away. Nothing special.
Quote:

2. Do I understand correctly that you run this command from inside VE to backup its data *to* remote server?

oke, my fault. The setup:
fileserver (for the backup)
box with openvz-kernel
-->virtual box 1 (works with the rsnapshot/rsync)
-->virtual box 2 (does not work with rsnapshot/rsync)

the fileserve runs the rsync cmd.
Quote:

2. What do you mean by crashes?
Does your host system continues to work?
Can you ssh to the host?
Do you see some kernel messages on the screen?

After some MB of the rsync, rsync dies. So it does not copy eny more files.
I _can_ ping the virtual box.
I _cant_ ssh the virtual box.
I _cant_ ping from inside of the virtual box.
Quote:

3. is it reproducable? if yes, can you demonstrate it with exact commands/details and maybe provide us login to resolve it?

The good news: It is reproducable. And it is simple. I simply run this cmd from the fileserver: rsync -rv root@ip.of.virtual.box.2.:/ .
Give you access: May be possible. The problem is that this box runs a memberdatabase of two NGOs. Perhaps we will find a way to do this via screen, hm?
Quote:

4. what are kernel versions on source and destination nodes (uname -a)? have you taken kernels from binary RPMs or rebuilt kernel yourself? what kernel configs have you used?

uame -a:
Linux bi-o-mass 2.6.9-023stab032.1-ovz-i386 #1 Thu Oct 26 19:39:19 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
The kernel is from debian testing. I used the binary build of the guys.
Quote:

> I cant login via ssh or so. via vzctl I can enter.
> But I have to restart the vz to get it back to work.
Ok, this makes me believe that host system continues to work, right?
But VE networking somehow stops responding?
Does ping ve-ip-addr wo]rks?
Do you mean "restart vz" == "/etc/init.d/vz restart"? If yes, I guess 'vzctl restart VEID' helps as well?

I restart the machine via vzctl restart VZID. VZ seems running fine as well as the other virtual systems. Normaly it takes ~10 sec to restart this virtual server(2). But in case of doing an rsync before it takes ~60 sec.
I dont find any output in any logfiles. If I have time at the weekend I will drive to the serverroom and look at the screenoutput.
Quote:

P.S. I renamed the title of your post, since it was too emotional, with too incomplete information.

No probem. It was just a funny idea Wink
Thanks for your time!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: *SOLVED* Newbie questions about traffic throttling and control panel
Next Topic: *SOLVED* optimization on privvmpages failcnt
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Oct 06 15:21:20 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04518 seconds