OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » private ip for host-to-ve communication only
Re: private ip for host-to-ve communication only [message #7457 is a reply to message #7456] Fri, 13 October 2006 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
John Kelly is currently offline  John Kelly
nikb wrote on Fri, 13 October 2006 12:31

He says that my external IF is configured with a private ip when in fact it isnt. Or shouldnt be. Could that be arp packets?

Yes, that's what OpenVZ does for you, automatically. Try "arp -an" on the HN node, and you will see that your HN is publishing an arp entry for your private IP address.

Although your provider can easily suppress routing of any private address packets, and prevent them from reaching the Internet, apparently he considers it poor management on your part, and expects you to fix it, in order to be considered a good citizen on his network.

That may seem like needless trouble from your POV, but I am impressed with a provider who is strict about keeping his local network clean. If you will reveal who the provider is, I may consider using them myself!

So it seems the challenge is to find a solution that makes your provider happy. Are you saying that packets from the VE are never routed to the outside Internet? And that *only* the HN needs to talk to the VE? If that is true, what is the purpose of the VE? IOW, what application is running on the VE, and why does the HN need to talk to it? Maybe understanding that can help us recommend a solution.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: how to write a config file?
Next Topic: dual nic environment
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 22 21:19:12 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03037 seconds