OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Existing Templates
Re: Existing Templates [message #726 is a reply to message #646] Sat, 07 January 2006 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
AndyS is currently offline  AndyS
Quote:

Can you tell which ones have you tried, and why you found OpenVZ better than those?

Sure. I've tested most that i've come across, since the early days of FreeVSD, including Vserver, FreeVPS and so forth.

The main problem with all systems is **minor bugs** - However, if your trying to setup a professional hosting business, these bugs are more like major ones.

I find OpenVZ Much better as its quick to install and setup. I had it installed on a sandbox, 2 templates installed and 5 VPS's up and running in just over an hour.

It appears all VPS report correct stats. e.g, quotas, memory allocaton etc. This was a major problem using VServer.

VPS's remained up and running 2 days after booting them. Luckly their is the --onboot command, but this has not been needed so far. unlike vserver where the --onboot didn't work and i needed to manually boot 2 our of 3 servers manually on a daily bases

Installation of Webmin and Usermin works 100% - Using Vserver and others e.g FreeVPS this was hell to run.

I even got CPanel installed (i admit, i could not test it as i dont have a licnece, but it installed with minimal errors)

Ones that i've tested since the early days are FreeVPS, OpenVPS, FreeVSD, VServer, UML, Xen to name a few. All have errors from speed through to incorrect stats.

Im not yet up and running with a vps business yet, because of the above errors. Although with OpenVZ this could be possable sometime this year.

One downfall which i was hoping to see in OpenVZ is name-based servers instead of just IP Based. Only because when i start offering VPS i want to offer a 1 week trial. As you can guess, doing so people are going to sign up left right and center, costing me an arm and a leg buying new IP Addys.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Host: CentOS4, Guest: Debian, apt-get not working, strange problems
Next Topic: 061.1 Kernel RPM Error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Aug 23 14:04:17 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03617 seconds