OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Oracle DB and VPS
Oracle DB and VPS [message #6855] Mon, 25 September 2006 14:19
jacobwm is currently offline  jacobwm
We are going to attempt to run a full Oracle 9i database environment inside a VPS. I think I might be able to eliminate the need for the expensive Veritas clustering software we currently use by scripting a few monitoring areas and keeping proper sync, and using some of the internal OEM monitoring by Oracle, etc. The Veritas system is currently only providing fault-taulerance, not load sharing.

I was wondering if anyone had any success or could highlight issues they have run into regarding the installation process and/or other things (like the sysctl share memory settings that we need -- do they pass down to the VPS or do we need to set them in the VPS also).

We plan on only running the database on the host server, so it has full resources from the host available to it (16GB of RAM and 2p/2c processors).

Specific areas we have questions about include disk I/O performance... initial testing doesn't show any performance drop inside the VPS, which makes sense considering it probably isn't doing much virtualization of the file system I/O subsystem.

Any experience in this area would be appreciated. If we are successful in meeting our requirements with this I will be happy to provide the documentation of our experience.

FYI the OS we plan on using for the host and guest is RHEL4.

Thanks

Jacob McNutt
IT Operations Manager
Vanco USA, LLC

Read Message
Previous Topic: I find a Copy On Write Solution for openVZ
Next Topic: *SOLVED*freeing unused kernel memory : 203k ..
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 30 12:18:53 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02722 seconds