OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » *SOLVED* Clock Drift / NTPd - CentOS OpenVZ Host - Problems
*SOLVED* Clock Drift / NTPd - CentOS OpenVZ Host - Problems [message #6301] Wed, 13 September 2006 19:33 Go to previous message
tchipman is currently offline  tchipman
Hi All,

I'm not positive this is an openVz issue, but wanted to post here in case others observe the same thing (?)

I've got a CentOS 4.4 machine with OpenVZ installed and a few OpenVZ virtual hosts running on it. The hardware / software is very solid, no problems at all there.

One ODD thing that has been happening: The clock on the system is drifiting at an absurd rate -- upwards of 5 seconds every 5 minutes -- and when I try to use ntp to keep it in synch with a local time source, it refuses to do so.

Right now I've got a crontab hitting "ntpdate" command every 5 minutes, which is working "OK" but clearly it is a band-aid solution.

I know from other reading that there are issues with VMWare hosting boxes which result in time-skew issues.. and it seemed not-inconcievable that this might also be an issue for OpenVZ.

However, it could be purely a problem with CentOS (I've found some threads in that vein already, but nothing conclusive / to my satisfaction yet).

So .. if anyone has any comments .. they certainly would be appreciated..

Sorry if this is a bit off topic.. clearly if/when I find an answer, I'll post it here just for reference.

--Tim Chipman

[Updated on: Fri, 29 September 2006 06:44] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: problem with last kernel/2.6.18/028stab053.5 vps kernel: unregister_netdevice
Next Topic: Install from Live CD?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Aug 18 01:25:37 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02784 seconds