OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Cpanel install problems
Re: Cpanel install problems [message #5807 is a reply to message #5803] Thu, 31 August 2006 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
brybert is currently offline  brybert
Hi!
Actually...it's fixed. It was one of those.."you've already fixed the thing..but now you've got to wait for the dns to resolve" things..that's all that needed to happen..the new namserver to start resolving to ns3.

Look back at the original post..and you'll see (maybe) I had already said there were no resource problems...this is my server..and I have given myself..ummm..generous allocations Wink

Plus..I already knew what Cpanel might need...nothing has caused more install failures than privvmpages..so I'm quite generous with them...knowing good and well...the vps will likely never need that much anyway...once the install is completed.

I am delighted with openvz...and have lost much sleep learning everything threre is to know about it.

What is strace? The other info I knew..but not strace.

I am truly amazed this was a dns problem..that's it..nothing more.

Anyhow...count on me to start sharing some of my experience here..I have quite a bit now. Just let me concentrate on getting some customers...then...I'll have some of this mysterious "free time" I have not seen in the last 2 months!

Kind to think of it..I do have one completely openvz-related question: Is it possible to estimate at what point openvz will start to swap? I have already been warned about over-generous allocations by a certain other host (cough)..but didn't believe it...and went on to give the server a heck of a lot of work..and it wouldn't swap. No sir..even with almost 600,000 privvmpages in use (held) by vps's. We're not talking high-end hardware either..just a P4 2.8HZ..1GB RAM..120Gb HD..as I said...I have been really impressed!

Heck..I even surprised myself and got IBM WEBsphere Application server with Tomcat and Geronimo running on a fairly small size VPS. Will it continue to behave is not known at this time...not yet..anyways..but the control panel is nifty.

No..the biggest thing that confused me about the response..why would a non-cpanel person even read a cpanel-related post?

Cpanel has a /scripts directory...it is a monster....upcp is the script you use to manually update CPanel. It is something a person needs to do immediately after a install..I'm not sure why..but it does fix things by itself that the install program could not.

There are some really useful ones there for..uhhh..."normal" users to use..like
fixndc.new (fixes nameserver configs)
fixcommonproblems

and many others I have not even touched..yet.
Bryon

[Updated on: Thu, 31 August 2006 07:00]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: *SOLVED* multiple filesystems in one VE