OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » OpenVZ 7 containers crashing with ext4 errors
Re: OpenVZ 7 containers crashing with ext4 errors [message #53707 is a reply to message #53655] Wed, 14 October 2020 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
allan.talver is currently offline  allan.talver
Hi all,

A short update and a few questions:
* We have now roughly 50 nodes running with vz7.151.14 kernel and the patch and we have not had containers turning into read-only mode. I think this is good.
* However, we still have another issue related to pcompact and, as we have increased the number of nodes on vz7, it also is causing us more trouble. The issue is that while pcompact and defrag are running, the disk space utilisation of the container starts fluctuating rapidly and during that period, it is also shown as 100% full several times. In turn, when the disk shows as full, applications are unable to write to the disk and it causes unexpected errors and application crashes (for example MySQL and Redis instances with configured with persistence). Are we the only ones experiencing this behaviour? Is there a way to avoid this? For now we have stopped pcompact again because it has caused several production incidents.
* A question related to the previous point, but what I would like to address separately. What are the downsides if we don't run pcompact at all? I think one obvious outcome is that we won't be able to release unused space in the container disk images back to the host operating system. But we don't see it as a big issue because we normally do not overcommit hardware node disk space anyway (meaning that total size of container disks is below the size of disk space on the host node). In this scenario, could we just leave pcompact disabled?
* We noticed that now there is new kernel version vz7.158.8 which is getting installed on the newer nodes. Of course the patch that has been shared in this thread here is not usable for this version. But I believe that the kernel fix is not yet in that version of the kernel. Is it possible to have another patch for vz7.158.8?

Thanks and best regards,
Allan

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message