OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Spectre and Meltdown Patch ASAP Please
Re: Spectre and Meltdown Patch ASAP Please [message #53096 is a reply to message #53095] Sun, 07 January 2018 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
snajpa is currently offline  snajpa
Thank you Vasily for your answer!

Now, I know that at times like this, there's too little time to do PR and communicate all of what is going on internally to the outside, but you see...

There's this board, Twitter, IRC, MLs, wiki and I don't know how many other channels, I've monitored most of them, but there was literally no message from you guys in the critical time window for me - I'm sitting on 1700 production containers and have to keep them reasonably up & secure. So when 696-18.7 came out, I became really anxious about not knowing whether I should start porting and testing myself.

I've been running OpenVZ 6 long enough to have approximate knowledge of how it works internally and how it evolved over time, back to 2009, when we started with OpenVZ, which shipped with Debian.

Since then I have even built a start up company based on vz6, which failed to make it commercialy, but we did have vz6 and ZFS integrated the Kubernetes way for our internal deployment back 5 years ago.

I think we share a common vision, how containerization on Linux should be done and how it should be used and deployed.

But I can't agree with the way you're handling it as an open-source project. The world around you guys has moved and now there's a whole bunch of successful open-source based companies, which model you could follow - Jira doesn't quite cut it these days.

I would appreciate to see the QA results live and everything, you're doing basically behind closed doors, to be an open process too. Where money lies in and what I would pay you for, is for ability to have my ticket in a public standard open-source friendly bugzilla (well, or Github...) prioritized. But the way it was with the vz 6 support program...

I think it's not impossible to be fully open, yet commercially successful project - when you let the right people go after selling just what the heck you would do anyway for free. Wouldn't you want to help guys over here while merging and testing the patches together with the community? Could you imagine what we could do if every one of us power vz users had cooperated with you on QA? Shared tests in git repo, deployed in labs all over the planet? I would certainly participate.

But for that, vz7 would have to stay vzkernel+vzctl+libs combo of repositaries, not a complete bundle of heavily modified EL.

I can definitely understand the desire to integrate all to a bundle like that, but that shouldn't come at cost of being able to at least build your stuff from scratch - and create a custom bundle of heavily modified VZ.

vaverin wrote on Sun, 07 January 2018 12:25

[...] that are out of focus of Red Hat.

I definitely know what you're talking about, at 120+ CTs per node and those CTs load variability and their ever increasing size and demand for resources, I can feel the use-cases Red Hat doesn't test.

Or at least didn't with EL6.

But since things are the way they are, we are forced to build our own custom repack of something, with the same goals in mind as you guys.

So we're choosing to do that based on a distro, which is defined declaratively, can be QA-d from scratch on-commit out-of-box; a distro which can be bent so much, we don't have to run along with the inustry's madness with Systemd, LXD, Docker and other bad practice example collections.

So in the end I have much to thank you guys for.

Firstly, for much of the code which is upstream now and which I can now rely and build upon;

secondly, for pioneering containers the right way;

thirdly for CRIU,

and lastly, but this is most important - by publishing your technology as open-source (regardless my reservations here), you've enabled me to pioneer and build
a community-based way of sharing hardware, some would say a community alternative to commercial hosting; vpsFree.cz (https://vpsfree.org website in English).

It wouldn't exist without OpenVZ, certainly we wouldn't be able to fit so much so comfortably on so little HW, compared to fullvirt-ers.

So there is a lot of things I'm thankful about.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message