OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » I am thinking of moving to LXD
I did [message #52779 is a reply to message #52531] Sat, 18 March 2017 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
votsalo is currently offline  votsalo
I migrated to LXD, several months ago, and I like it. I have about 30 running containers on my dedicated server, for personal or non-profit use, websites etc. I use containers with the ZFS filesystem, which allows me to take instant snapshots and copies. It takes 10 seconds to make a test copy of a full ubuntu container and start it. I often have one container per project (website, etc.) so I can easily experiment with it, make snapshots, temporary test copies, revert to the last snapshot, etc. I use two container templates, the official ubuntu 16.04 and the latest Alpine. Alpine is very small. I use it for pound, static websites, git, certbot, and backup containers. I use a single external IP address for all the containers on my host, just like I did with OpenVZ. I use shorewall to redirect various ports to different containers. I redirect a separate port to SSH for each container. I also redirect the HTTP and HTTPS ports to a pound container that proxies requests to various containers according to the Host header (using SNI for HTTPS).

I also use LXD on a home computer, a VPS and an Amazon nano (!) instance. On the VPS I use containers with the ext4 filesystem, running one Ubuntu and two Alpine containers in a total of 10G disk. I tried using ZFS backed-up by flat files but it was tricky and I unexpectedly ran out of disk space. I also tried using ZFS on an add-on filesystem to the VPS. It was good for temporary migrating my OpenVZ containers, but the add-on filesystem performed much worse (with ZFS) than the root filesystem.

I also use LXD on a home computer, and on an Amazon nano instance (running just a backup Alpine container). I like the LXD client, "lxc", which allows me to do all LXD operations remotely, from my desktop.

My LXD containers are not as isolated as the OpenVZ containers. When I do "df" on an LXD container I also see the host lxd filesystem and when I run "top" I see the host RAM. ZFS allows me to set disk quotas for each container. I think I could also limit the RAM for a container. But I don't bother with limits, since I administer all my containers.

I am grateful to OpenVZ for introducing me to containers, and to LXD for giving me more flexibility and ease of use.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: CentOS 8
Next Topic: How to clear cache memory on openvz container ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Sep 17 15:08:04 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05175 seconds