OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » cannot login after installing XFCE desktop remotely in Fedora 22 (why can't i login?)
Re: cannot login after installing XFCE desktop remotely in Fedora 22 [message #52305 is a reply to message #52267] Mon, 25 January 2016 18:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
ura_Soul is currently offline  ura_Soul
so i am informed that this may be an issue originating in the fact that the version of openVZ being used by the host i am with is only supporting older kernel versions and there is an incompatibility between newer OSs, firewallD and these older kernels.
since i don't actually run openVZ myself, i am ignorant of some of the details, but from my research it appears that i am unable to use X2go server/client to remotely connect to ALL recent OS versions that i have tested, probably due to this incompatibility between kernel versions, the OS and openVZ.
this answer provided to me on the askfedora site, suggests that openVZ is running an old kernel:

Quote:
The short answer to this is that OpenVZ does not support many systemd operating systems.

The longer explanation to this is because OpenVZ allows your host to set up "containerized" VPS's for clients. All of the individual containers are dependent on the OpenVZ software. However, OpenVZ is running a version of the kernel around 2.6.x if I recall correctly. Because of this, OpenVZ has to backport many of the systemd features into sysvinit, which is... very messy.

There is no immediate solution to using firewalld in a OpenVZ machine. The same problem exists for CentOS 7. You can see more information in this thread that has a workaround solution that may work for you (it used to work for me, but it doesn't anymore).

For now, you will be better off using KVM or using an older version of Fedora with OpenVZ (and by old, I mean really old, for Fedora).

is that correct? if so, when will this be resolved? surely i am missing something here, right?

Read Message icon4.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Debian 6 = vzquota + insserv errors
Next Topic: Virt-manager
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Aug 13 05:06:03 GMT 2024