OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » mainline kernel
icon8.gif  mainline kernel [message #50900] Tue, 26 November 2013 20:30 Go to previous message
xaxaxa is currently offline  xaxaxa
are there plans to release a mainline-based openvz kernel?
My experience has been that mainline kernels tend to be much more stable than rhel kernels. I've encountered a few random freezes/kernel panics in the past with rhel6 (both stock centos rhel6 kernel and openvz rhel6 kernel), and I've always been running the latest stable version.
In addition, I find the rhel6 kernel extremely feature-incomplete:
* no codel support
* virtually no ARM support
* incompatible with AUFS and tuxonice patches
* VERY buggy btrfs code (I can instantly kernel-panic a rhel6/centos6 system by plugging in and unplugging one of my btrfs usb drives)
* no f2fs
* incomplete hardware support; the driver for my server's network card is in mainline, but not in rhel6
* no seccomp
* no nested pid namespaces, meaning I can't run things like chromium in an openvz container (without a hack)
* no tcp fast open
* bad numa scheduling

The openvz patches has a few issues too, most notably very bad network performance between ve <-> ve, and outside <-> ve (100% cpu usage to only get 50MB/s transfer with simple tcp connection; outside <-> host is fast though); I've tried both venet and veth, and got the same results.

so for now, I'm stuck with linux-vserver; I used to use openvz, but over time the kernel issues started to become a huge maintenance burden.

Read Message icon8.gif
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Monitoring VE's - Load is important?
Next Topic: vzdump - backup failes, rsync error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 28 10:16:36 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04037 seconds