OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » OpenVZ vs. VMware
Re: OpenVZ vs. VMware [message #4849 is a reply to message #4729] Sat, 29 July 2006 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
cdevidal is currently offline  cdevidal
n00b_admin wrote on Mon, 24 July 2006 10:12

If you are using openvz or virtuozzo can you tell me an average disk cost/client ?

Sorry, I don't know that yet. I recall reading that it was just a few hundred MB per VPS because it's just the changes between the template and live VPS.

n00b_admin wrote on Mon, 24 July 2006 10:12

In this case can i use hard links to "emulate" the files from another vps if i have more servers with the same content ?

There is supposed to be a utility that searches for duplicates and eliminates them but I don't know what it is. Without said utility all the space advantages of copy-on-write (CoW) disappear over time as filesystems gradually become different.

Herein is one advantage of Linux-VServer over OpenVZ; one user reported that the OpenVZ utility to do this can take a few days but VServer (which does indeed use hard links for duplicate files) takes but a few moments. OpenVZ has enough advantages and one should seldom have to run this tool (and that without interrupting anything) that I didn't consider this to be an issue.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: VirtualComplete - new openvz panel