OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » OpenVZ vs. VMware
Re: OpenVZ vs. VMware [message #4686 is a reply to message #4675] Fri, 21 July 2006 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
cdevidal is currently offline  cdevidal
n00b_admin wrote on Fri, 21 July 2006 07:25

So, i understand that i can't make a vm for every client (~30) on one host machine if i choose vmware as a virtualization solution ?

Sure you can! It's just that it'll perform like a dog. Or you'll need a MASSIVE server to keep it alive. Imagine a minumum of 128MB per VM plus 128 for the host OS and there you have it...

Of course, you don't NEED to set up a VM for every client or application like I suggested. What will you be trying to accomplish?

OpenVZ performs better and the fact that you can only use one kernel doesn't matter in the majority of cases, particularly for web hosting. If someone needs a custom kernel module it can be virtualized pretty easily -- just read the manual or ask the forums. All-in-all, not running custom kernels is hardly ever a problem for web hosts.

VMware is great if for example you need to install Windows but don't have specialized hardware (Intel VM/AMD Pacifica) like Xen. Of course if you have these I understand VMware takes advantage of it but it's not necessary. Same with Parallels Workstation, another Xen-like hypervisor.

Another VMware strength is ease-of-use. Easy (in my opinion) to install, use, install guest OSes into, etc. But for you, once you learn OpenVZ ease-of-use doesn't really matter. And although I've never used it, Virtuozzo adds GUI tools that makes it far easier.

Again, and I don't mean to sound like a Virtuozzo commercial (I promise I do NOT work for them Wink If you run Windows, consider buying Virtuozzo for Windows. That means you install one server and partition it into many virtual servers. You can run as many as 50 on one box, according to the documentation.

Or buy Windows 2003 Enterprise R2; Microsoft now offers 4 free Windows licenses for VMs. Pretty nifty, and a great way to save money. Of if you REALLY wanna drop some bux, get DataCenter Edition. Very expensive, but might save on license costs if your needs are great enough.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: VirtualComplete - new openvz panel