OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » More vzyum problems
Re: More vzyum problems [message #4685 is a reply to message #4678] Fri, 21 July 2006 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
rollinw is currently offline  rollinw
By the time of my 2nd post, I had a VE based on centos-4-x86_64-default.tar.gz and the CentOS4.3 x86_64 smp version.

The bottom line is that I still do NOT have vzyum working on the hardware node for my VEs, which are all 64-bit systems. Rather I gave up on metadata processing and built my VEs from existing templated systems. Besides the CentOS VE, I also have Suse and Debian VEs. I just put the xxx.tar.gz version into /vz/template/cache/ and ran the vzctl create routine. I am using mostly the Suse 9.3 VEs.

When you genereate a VE from a basic default template, what you get is a system that tends to be pretty lean (i.e., a lot of handy things missing). That's one reason vzyum is very useful. In my case, it was difficult even to edit files, since vim was missing. So I proceeded as follows:

1. Made sure the network in the VE was working.
2. Started the sshd in the VE.
3. Found a good repository for Suse RPMs.
4. Downloaded vim and wget rpms to my PC.
5. Uploaded the 2 rpms from my PC to the VE using ssh relative,
scp.

A while back I discovered that wget is a really good friend. After I installed vim and wget, I used wget from the VE to bring in rpms for bzip2, mm, and python. From then on, anything that was missing, I could pull in with wget. On the CentOS VE, I also brought in all the rpms needed for yum. This allowed me to completely bypass vzyum. Though, as you say, I don't have the capability of processing metadata for templates. So far I have managed to get by without it.

Hopefully vzyum for 64-bit systems will be fixed. In the meantime, maybe you can proceed somewhat like I did to get your virtualizations working OK without it.

Regards,
rollinw

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message