OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » RHEL6 kernel and cache/free memory
Re: RHEL6 kernel and cache/free memory [message #43540 is a reply to message #43535] Mon, 19 September 2011 19:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
raver119 is currently offline  raver119

mustardman wrote on Mon, 19 September 2011 15:16

First of all, are you using new memory config files inside containers? You cannot use old RHEL5 config files for RHEL6 nodes. At least that is what I have found. You must use new config files that are designed for new memory management technique.

Files are located in /etc/sysconfig/vz-scripts on the Node. You should have sample conf files called ve-vswap-512m.conf-sample. You need to use those. If you use the old beancounter oriented config files such as ve-vps.basic.conf-sample on RHEL6 nodes then wierd things happen. At least that is what I have found.

Yea, after upgrading to RHEL6 i've updated configs to VSwap.

mustardman wrote on Mon, 19 September 2011 15:16

Also, do you understand how memory caching works? It will try take advantage of all available memory by gradually filling up over time as the system is used. Do not confuse that with unavailable memory. All cached memory is available to the system if it needs it so it is the same as free memory.

The system is just using it as temporary storage until such time as the data is requested again or it needs to allocate it for new use.

Yea, i do understand. And the problem is that memory is used as cache but it goes free within 1-2 minutes, without any visible reason. And this results in low cache usage.

I've filled bug at bugzilla with some additional info: bugzilla.openvz.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1985

[Updated on: Mon, 19 September 2011 19:33]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: centos 6 network scripts