OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » OpenVZ venet HW Mac Address question (How to manually set this)
OpenVZ venet HW Mac Address question [message #43426] Thu, 08 September 2011 19:07 Go to previous message
mylesw is currently offline  mylesw
Hi there, I'm new to OpenVZ having installed it via Proxmox on a server, but so far am loving the performance. We are migrating about 40 virtual servers from VMWare ESXi over to Proxmox and 90% of them are Linux servers, so OpenVZ is a natural solution for this. Wish I found it sooner, to be honest! Smile

After running one production server for about a week, we encountered a strange issue a few days ago. The public WAN network just stopped working, but the private LAN on the server was fine. This server is colocated, so I eventually tracked it down to the venet NIC failing and after restarting the server a few times, had no luck with it at all. Then I contacted the Network Operations center at our data center, who refreshed the ARP cache, and immediately it was back running.

I then researched what the cause of this was, and it would seem that someone else in the data center has done something similar to us and the HW Mac address that was given to the venet adapter was conflicting with them. After the ARP cache was reset, it was fine.

So having experienced this, I'd like to know how to set the HW MAC Addr of the venet adapter myself so that I can use something that won't conflict with other servers in our data center. I checked through documentation for this, but I haven't found anything that tells me how to set this or how to have it generate a new one that is guaranteed not to conflict with anything else.

Is this a common issue that others have experienced, or is it a freak thing that should never happen in a perfect world but I've done something horribly wrong?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Myles

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: NFS on Ubuntu 11.04
Next Topic: noatime flag for /vz and noatime option for VE/CT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jul 15 14:50:36 GMT 2024