OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » There is great concern that OpenVZ is no longer being supported.
Re: There is great concern that OpenVZ is no longer being supported. [message #42729 is a reply to message #42720] Mon, 16 May 2011 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
drobbins is currently offline  drobbins
pva0xd wrote on Sun, 15 May 2011 04:11
Paparaciz, please read topic before answer. I've already told why rHELL kernels are bad idea for Gentoo. Although may be I'll create ebuilds for them I'll doubt I'll be use/test them.

I am the creator of Gentoo Linux and currently develop Funtoo Linux (docs.funtoo.org). I like OpenVZ and we maintain compatibility with OpenVZ RHEL5 kernels. We have RHEL5 stable and RHEL6-testing kernels available. I actually just committed new ebuilds for both. You will need true Funtoo Linux install (funtoo unstable/current recommended) to use them, though, because we have a different udev than Gentoo.

sys-kernel/rhel5-openvz-sources has the latest RHEL5 sources. Use with udev-146-r3 and it works. There are (not yet 100% updated) instructions on our wiki on how to do the downgrade easily. - Also, this ebuild automatically installs gcc-4.1.2 and uses it to build, so it is using the recommended GCC version for this kernel.

sys-kernel/rhel6-openvz-sources has the lastest RHEL6-testing sources.

Both ebuilds can be built with the "binary" USE flag which will ALSO install a standard binary kernel built using genkernel with the recommended OpenVZ kernel config.

I have also added several fixes and improvements (Funtoo compatibility) to our version of vzctl.

If you are an OpenVZ fan, I'd welcome you to try Funtoo Linux and give me your feedback because OpenVZ support in Funtoo Linux is a personal priority of mine.

Regards,

Daniel

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message