OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Seeking comment on setup
Re: Seeking comment on setup [message #40709 is a reply to message #40707] Wed, 22 September 2010 16:29 Go to previous message
satimis is currently offline  satimis
TheStig wrote on Wed, 22 September 2010 23:53
Quote:

Could you pls explain in more detail? If NOT running OpenVZ kernel can the Linux guest share kernel? Thanks

i'm not sure if i know what you mean by that?! if there is no openvz-enabled kernel running, how should there be a guest system?
openvz works by only running one kernel (hence the operating system) that is extended so it can run linux-distributions in a container - but that container uses the same underlying linux kernel as the hardware node does - and as windows needs it's own kernel (as does solaris/bsd for that matter) it can't be compatible with openvz.

however, it is possible to also extend your kernel with KVM or XEN(probably virtualbox as well, see: http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=34609&) and run windows (or solaris/BSD etc.) with that kind of virtualization technology.

Thanks for your advice and URL.

On message #32916 of that URL it mentions
To answer your question, Virtual Box will run openvz

which is important to me. I can run the other way round, installing OpenVZ on VM and install Linux OS on its guests which don't require sound.

Quote:

i have no idea, if virtualbox runs in a VPS. i would guess that it won't. anyway, i don't see an advantage of running windows inside a openvz-guest.

I won't run Windows on OpenVZ unless it supports full virtualization.

B.R.
satimis

[Updated on: Wed, 22 September 2010 16:30]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: CAPI & CAPIFS support in VE
Next Topic: update VE from i386 to x86_64
Goto Forum: