OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » VPS template for Redhat Enterprise Linux 4
Re: VPS template for Redhat Enterprise Linux 4 [message #394 is a reply to message #389] Mon, 21 November 2005 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
che2cbs is currently offline  che2cbs
Eric,

I think this is a deceptively simple four step process:

1) Make a copy of the directory tree /vz/template/fedora-core as /vz/template/rhel. Also, change the version and arch directory names under /vz/template/rhel if necessary.

2) Clean out /vz/template/rhel/4/i386/yum-cache

3) Create your *.list files in /vz/template/rhel/4/i386/config to contain the packages you want (don't worry about dependencies since yum will handle that for you). For every .list file in the config directory vzpkgcache will build a cache file (see get_all_os_templates() in /usr/share/vzpkg/functions). One template can produce multiple cache files each suited for different purposes. You could have an ldap.list, mysql.list, etc. IOW, it looks like you only need a different template for each distro or version of a distro.

4) Run vzpkgcache and then use 'vzctl create ...' to install it into a VPS

Now the trick is figuring out what packages should be in your .list file. Here's my question: Are there any packages that will cause a VPS to fail? Does it matter if the kernel, grub or the like get installed into a VPS? My gut reaction is no, since they'll never actually be used but I'm not sure. If that's the case then you can use the list of packages installed on any RHEL4 box to create your .list file.

BTW, I haven't tried any of this yet since I don't have access to the RHEL4 media Rolling Eyes

--Chris

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Sync'ing between servers
Next Topic: /proc/vz/vestat
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Aug 31 20:13:17 GMT 2024