OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » Swap Usage
Re: Swap Usage [message #3885 is a reply to message #3883] Thu, 22 June 2006 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
kir is currently offline  kir

Quote:

When memory usage goes up, the machine should slow down, due to the use of swap, and not crash.

1. Again, the machine is not crashing. It's your application that is crashing, because it *probably* hits the memory limit specified for your VE (I am not sure since you never shown or told me what's in your /proc/user_beancounters).

2. Note that this is not a machine but a VE. The limits of memory which you can is is specified in User Beancouters for your VE. It can not eat all RAM and swap.

Quote:

I personally don't like this model at all. Each vps should be left to decide how much swap it wants.

Each VE is limited to a certain amount of memory. Some of that memory could be swapped out, because of RAM shortage. RAM shortage can happen because of yours or other VEs using RAM.

The fact that your VE memory is not swapp is just because the physical server is not loaded that high to use swap (and you should help your provider for such a good service). If physical server owner will put more VEs on that very box, it will start to swap. If this is what you need, ask them to put more VEs on your box -- and you will see some memory pages will be swapped out. Still, it will not increase the amount of memory available for your VE, because the total amount of RAM+swap is limited per VE by your hoster using User Beancounters.

Said that, I can not really do anything about it.

Quote:

Anyway, i would like to know if you will implement per vps swapping in future versions. Also, i would like to know if virtuozzo supports this particular feature.

No. No.

Kir Kolyshkin
http://static.openvz.org/userbars/openvz-developer.png

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: openvz toolkit - free download
Next Topic: How fine virtualization could openvz do?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Sep 28 02:55:42 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.06625 seconds