OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » TCP hangs up (TCP hangs up for big connexion rates)
Re: TCP hangs up [message #38636 is a reply to message #38631] Sun, 10 January 2010 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Sékiltoyai is currently offline  Sékiltoyai
Hello,

Thanks again for your advices.

nuno wrote on Sat, 09 January 2010 10:10

Don't forget that you can have 100 of those connections. Testing is your best bet.

I've made some tests and, as you have wroten, if i make several ftp transfers in the same time, the tcpsndbuf explode.
For only four parallel transfers, i have to save at least 20M of kernel memory for tcp connexions, it's too big for an auxiliary vps (this one is going to be dedicated to the backup, and i have only 1G RAM).

It doesn't seem to be possible to control independantly tcp parameters (via sysctl) on each vps. And I don't want to disable tcp window scale for the whole server. So, i have made another test. I have limited trafic with some simple netfilter rules :

-A FORWARD -s 192.168.2.40/32 -i venet0 -o eth0 -j LIMITER
-A LIMITER -m limit --limit 2/sec -j ACCEPT 
-A LIMITER -m statistic --mode nth --every 10000 -j LOG --log-prefix "[FOR_INTERNET]limited_packet" --log-tcp-options --log-ip-options 
-A LIMITER -j DROP 

And for 2 connexions, the tcp buffer falls down to 244K.
I think i'll set up a consistent trafic limiting with tc, but is it a good way of solving my problem ?

nuno wrote on Sat, 09 January 2010 10:10

After faling to allocate memory the TCP connection may be FUBAR (damaged beyond repair).

And how can we check this ? And how can we "repair" a connexion in FUBAR state ? Is it automatic ?

Thank,

Regards.

[Updated on: Sun, 10 January 2010 17:43]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Total but temporary loss of network