OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Should I enable or disable HyperThreading? (Advantages, disadvantages)  () 1 Vote
Re: Should I enable or disable HyperThreading? [message #38511 is a reply to message #38508] Mon, 28 December 2009 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mustardman is currently offline  mustardman
Thanks for the reply.

I am aware of what HT is and what it does. I am interested in real world experiences on OpenVZ.

One advantage from a business perspective is that it doubles the amount of cores as interpreted by OpenVZ. So regardless of what is REALLY happening in hardware, container customers are given the impression they are on 2 cores when really it's only 1 core. Or 4 when it's only 2, 8 when it's only 4.

Yes, I am aware that is more a cosmetic thing but in the VPS business, impressions are important. Some of it is real performance improvement on the node but of course not as much as real physical cores.

I am curious if the openVZ kernel is optimized for HT and what sorts of improvements I can expect to see to determine if it is worth even bothering.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: centos4 didn't find ovzkernel-devel, maybe give a try for el5 kernel flavor?
Next Topic: Copy To Container From Host
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Sep 28 07:54:09 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04100 seconds