OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » VPS uses HE process (running Firefox)
VPS uses HE process (running Firefox) [message #36412] Wed, 17 June 2009 08:31 Go to previous message
starfry is currently offline  starfry
Hi I have a VPS in which I want to run Firefox so I can access the internet in a protected environment. It works fine, however...

If I have Firefox running on the HE then running it on the VPS just launches another instance on the HE.

It's easy for me to see when it happens because the HE browser and the VPS one have different home pages set so look very different on start-up.

I think it's probably because there is already a firefox process running on the HE and OpenVZ does not ignore it (as it should, it does not belong to the VPS).

I would expect a process request on a VPS to be honoured within the VPS regardless of what may or may not be running on the HE. I would not expect a VPS process request to utilize existing processes on the HE.

This seems to be a potentially dangerous thing: one could have a process running in a VPS that could potentially take over processes on the HE. This seems to me like a big risk.

Am I missing something, or doing something wrong?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Using the ip_conntrack_tftp iptables module within containers
Next Topic: Intelcore I7 compatibility
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 23 18:30:33 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02448 seconds