OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Disabling all limits
Re: Disabling all limits [message #35654 is a reply to message #35648] Fri, 10 April 2009 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
divB is currently offline  divB
maratrus wrote on Fri, 10 April 2009 02:50

Hi,
Quote:

What I do: I have written a small awk-script which monitors the sum of the failcnt-column in /proc/user_beancounters and if this value is >= 0

This approach is not correct. You should monitor if faicnt are increasing not if they are just >0.
Quote:

... and restarting the VE.

after you've adjusted ubc-parameter you don't have to restart VE.

I think we have a misunderstanding here. In my case, the goal is to find out how much ressources are needed by my servers. So I just want to do a short "learning phase" (i.e. 1 week) and observe the "failcnt" field. If it is > 0 then my VE need more ressources. I adjust the parameters, restart and hope that the VEs work now normal.

There are at least two use cases for OpenVZ:

1.) Maybe the most popular: vServer hosting. In this case it's good to strictly apply ressource barriers.

2.) Virtualize private servers. This is my case. In normal conditions there should not be any malicous software; it's better to be sure that all my own services run reliably. So in this case I want each VE to give as much ressources as they need.

Quote:

This means that this value is just ~100 too low; what to I do?
vzctl set 201 --privvmpages 87536:91632 --save

and restarting the VE. As you can see, I add 10000 (!) although only 97 are needed. But some time after restarting: same result. I adjusted the limit a few times now but failcnt becomes always nonzero for this specific limit after some time. So, what I am doing wrong?

Sorry, I didn't catch you at all. What are 100 and 10000? What kind of parameters do you measure?
[/quote]

This is my key question: What to do if the ressources are too low? Just adding the "failcnt" value? Adding 10? Adding 100? Multiplying with 2? Multiplying with 5?

For example, I have privvmpages 57536:71632. Then, after some time failcnt=100. Adjusting to $((57536+100)):$((71632+100)) seems not to help, so I did $((57536+10000)):$((71632+10000)) = 67536:61632.

I hope you can follow me now. The key question is: How to change the limit values for a given "failcnt" in order to ensure reliable VEs?

Quote:

This might be a valid behavior. Here is a nice article.
http://wiki.openvz.org/UBC_failcnt_reset

Thank you. I will wait the 5 minutes after rebooting the VE Wink As said, I just want to do this in my "learning phase".

divB

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: kernel/rhel5/028stab060.8 Kernel Compilation Error
Next Topic: using /dev/ttyS0 inside a VM ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 12 13:27:44 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02670 seconds