OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » VirtualBox compatibility
Re: VirtualBox compatibility [message #34441 is a reply to message #32893] Fri, 02 January 2009 20:40 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
poige is currently offline  poige
eager wrote on Mon, 08 September 2008 01:52

I was interested in running VirtualBox on a system running an OpenVZ kernel. I installed CentOS 5 and updated it with OpenVZ RHEL-5.

When I attempt to install the VirtualBox for RHEL-5, building the kernel module fails. VBox uses the kernel function register_cpu_notification which is defined with CONFIG_HOTPLUG_CPU=Y (which is set in CentOS 5) but there is a wiki page http://wiki.openvz.org/Kernel_configuration which says that this config option is incompatible with SCHED_VCPU.

Also, it says "On a non-SMP machine, you may disable SMP, this will resolve the conflict.

If you have an SMP machine, you can only disable FAIRSCHED and SCHED_VCPU. It will reduce some isolation between VEs (CPU scheduling will be performed per-task, not per-VE, and cpuunits and cpulimit settings will not take effect), but it is an acceptable solution if your VEs are trusted (and it's hard to imagine untrusted VEs on a notebook.) "
— Yeah, it says. But it won't compile at least at the moment of writing, alas.

[Updated on: Sun, 04 January 2009 08:22]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message