OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » Limiting CPU for tasks on HN ?
Re: Limiting CPU for tasks on HN ? [message #33745 is a reply to message #33742] Thu, 06 November 2008 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
seanfulton is currently offline  seanfulton
We have four machines running OpenVZ, various kernels. The one in question is running:

2.6.18-53.1.19.el5.028stab053.14PAE

I can't say for sure if this happens on our other machines because those are mostly web sites and we run the backups at night when traffic is low, so it's possible the problem just isn't affecting anything. The mail server is obvious because that tends to churn 24/7 so whenever I run my backups (using vzdump) everything hangs and backs up, causing it to eventually crash in the AM.

One thought I did have though is that even though the crash is during a period of high IO activity, the sendmail processes hang, stack up and eventually lock up the VE. When the backup completes, the sendmail activity doesn't seem to go back to normal--it seems to be permanently locked and just keeps spawning new processes until it crashes (usually at about 1800 processes).

This weekend I will upgrade the machine to the latest kernel and see if that makes a difference. I will report back.

sean

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message