OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » *WORKED AROUND* Add /proc/bus/usb inside VE ?
Re: Add /proc/bus/usb inside VE ? [message #33552 is a reply to message #33548] Tue, 21 October 2008 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Aefron is currently offline  Aefron
Well, my bad... it can work by giving the container acces to the nodes in "/dev/bus/usb/"...

... which in turn also enables lsusb to work properly (it will show what has been given to the VE, and nothing else).

I guess I will now create some udev rule on HN to create a "/dev/usb/scanner" or something like that, as none is created on my machine, to make it easier to share with the VE.

So, "saned" now works and is able to scan in my VE (even the loading of the binary firmware onto the scanner works as it should... with one of my printers, only unmasking "/dev/usb/lp0", I was forced to have hpijs on the HN, without CUPS, so "udev" rules could load another firmware in my Laserjet 1018) : excellent.

If others wanted to try this out right now, be aware though that a bug in Debian's "libsane-extras", mandatory dependency of "libsane" in this distro, has just been corrected, for the amd64 package. The package for i386 architecture is not here yet, though, and has "udev" as a mandatory dependency (which was the bug... as "libsane", for itself, doesn't need anything else than "makedev")...

... and OpenVZ containers really do not like "udev" (Lenny containers will not even manage to install this one without tweaking the package postinst scripts).

While I am at it : "libsane-extras" Debian maintainer told me that the next release after Lenny (Squeeze) will get rid of makedev, making the use of "udev" mandatory for this kind of things (this is why he did not seem convinced taking care of "udev" older alternatives was a good idea)... are there some kind of future plans, in OpenVZ to manage "udev" in a way or another ?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: VLAN not working in VE? <SOLVED>
Next Topic: How to make changes to resource limits take effect without a vps restart?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Oct 14 15:55:14 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05643 seconds