OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » openvz patched vanilla kernel vs redhat kernel
Re: openvz patched vanilla kernel vs redhat kernel [message #32614 is a reply to message #32612] Tue, 19 August 2008 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
piavlo is currently offline  piavlo
maratrus wrote on Tue, 19 August 2008 14:35

The problems can appear for example either during the installation of this kernel (wrong initrd) or during any userspace program executing (you've mentioned glibc patching).

Well gentoo is source based distribution and if the kernel is compiled with same toolchain (linux-headers,glibc,gcc,binutils)
as all userspace progs. And for extra safety i use linux-headers-2.6.18 so that they match RHEL 2.6.18 kernel as close as possible. Do you think there still might some issues?

At least one difference i've noticed is with udev inside same VE
on vanilla and RHEL kernel. On vanilla kernel udev inside VE does not create /dev/{u,}random devices, so i add them in precreated
minimal tarball. While with RHEL kernel all needed devices are created (more details at http://bugs.marples.name/show_bug.cgi?id=102#c7)
So at least in this case the change is positive Smile
But unfortunately i've no idea why this happens Sad

maratrus wrote on Tue, 19 August 2008 14:35

I don't know the common rule of determining if this kernel matches the particular OS. Every case should be investigated individually.

I'd be really happy to know how can i make proper investigation myself, as i don't know what i should be checking for.

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: mqueue support ?
Next Topic: Kernel Version Problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Jul 16 01:22:36 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02519 seconds