OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » vzmigrate and shared filesystems
Re: vzmigrate and shared filesystems [message #32262 is a reply to message #32202] Tue, 29 July 2008 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dowdle is currently offline  dowdle
I do not have any OpenVZ setups with shared storage so I'm not speaking from experience here... but... are you aware that vzmigrate is a shell script? Examine it, copy it... and modify it as needed to do whatever is necessary to do the operation.

I would imagine you could just checkpoint the system on the source node, transfer the checkpoint to the destination node, restore from checkpoint on the destination machine. I'm not sure what you'd need to do with the checkpointed system on the source machine... but a close look at how vzmigrate handles the checkpointing should expose at least one method.

My goal here isn't to give you the perfect answer but to get you on a path to discovery of your own solution. After you put enough effort into it and get it working as desired, you are strongly encouraged to create a wiki page on the topic. Smile

I have run into at least one person who has a custom built OpenVZ kernel patched against a non-stable branch... and they were able to get NFS based guests and live migration working. I'd love to see a page on that too... but I'd really rather stick with the stable OpenVZ kernel branches.

An alternative that would require a total reworking of your setup, so it isn't recommended, is to use DRBD and heartbeat to create a high availability solution. There is a wiki page on that setup but again, it isn't something I've tried myself.

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA

[Updated on: Tue, 29 July 2008 01:20]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message