OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Discussions » Linux Memory Overcommit in OpenVZ
Re: Linux Memory Overcommit in OpenVZ [message #31900 is a reply to message #31148] Sat, 12 July 2008 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
charlesl
It has been nearly a month, almost 1000 views and not a single reply so I guess this has everyone else stumped too (or its so obvious it didn't deserve an answer Confused) ...

I wrote a couple of programs to test and I'll share my results. The two programs were:
  • memalloc - Allocates memory in 100MB/second increments
  • memfill - Allocates and fills memory at rate 100MB/second
I then ran these in a VE and watched its user_beancounters from the HN, and the HN's /proc/meminfo too. Here are my findings:

memalloc
The privvmpages accounting increases until it hits the privvmpages barrier, at which failcnt increases and the program begins to fail.

But /proc/meminfo does not change - the kernel is not counting any allocations made via malloc.

memfill
The privvmpages accounting and physpages/oomguarpages accounting all increase. Since this is a test system not under load, the privvmpages barrier is reached first, its failcnt increases and the program fails.

In this case, /proc/meminfo does change - the kernel is counting used pages.

Conclusion

Note: naturally, "allocated" memory includes "used" memory. An allocation limit is implicitly a usable limit too. I use _bar for barrier and _cur for current (held) values.

• The VE has a maximum allocation limit of privvmpages_bar.
  • The VE has a guaranteed allocation limit of guarvmpages_bar.
  • The kernel only cares about used memory - the sum of all VE's physpages_cur/oomguarpages_cur (+ HN overhead).
  • VEs can allocate all the memory they like up to privvmpages_bar under situations where the total used memory is low.
  • VEs using memory above their guarantees may fail above the guarantees under high overall memory consumption.

My only one remaining question is: clearly VEs cannot use arbitrary amounts of memory under high load conditions, but can VEs still allocate up to their privvmpages_bar even under high memory conditions, since the kernel doesn't care about allocations?

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Alternative tool for VZMC
Next Topic: script to verify all beancounter settings
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Jul 28 10:20:30 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04769 seconds