OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » vzpkgcache centos-4-i386-default no longer work
Re: vzpkgcache centos-4-i386-default no longer work [message #31285 is a reply to message #31250] Tue, 24 June 2008 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
dowdle is currently offline  dowdle
You don't seem to have an understanding of how vzpkgcache works. You have to have a vztmpl package for each distribution you want to build an OS Template for... and in your example you are trying to build a CentOS 5 OS Template cache when you don't have a vztmpl file for CentOS 5 installed.

The vztmpl package basically sets up the yum repositories and adds a few dummy packages for the distro it is for... and then vzyum downloads all of the packages, installs them to a temporary directory, and then tar-gzs' that directory into a new OS Template, and then deletes the temporary directory.

vztmpl packages haven't really been keeping up with newer distributions. In fact, there are only a small handful of them and not an official package for CentOS 5, although if you search the OpenVZ forums hard enough you'll find one made by a guy name Steve (that I helped test).

Using vzpkgcache and vzyum and the lack of newer vztmpl packages has caused this method of creating OS Templates to fall out of favor with some of us.

The centos-4-i386-default.tar.gz file you download is an OS Template that has already been created and can be used with vzctl create. Basically it is the end target from a vzpkgcache command... so downloading it won't help with that... but you can use it as an --ostemplate for vzctl create.

If you want a CentOS 5 OS Template, the easiest thing to do woudl be to download a pre-created one. There don't appear to be any "official" ones but there are some in "contrib".

--
TYL, Scott Dowdle
Belgrade, Montana, USA

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Contolling the number of CPU cores used per VE
Next Topic: Is name based forwarding possible on LAN
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Aug 01 12:25:13 GMT 2024