OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » vzdev will be removed by udev?!
Re: vzdev will be removed by udev?! [message #30337 is a reply to message #30331] Wed, 21 May 2008 18:38 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
drups
drups wrote on Wed, 21 May 2008 17:41

[...]
But when I install some software (ImageMagick) by using 'yum' the package 'vzdev' will be removed and I am no longer able to login into the VE! When I try to login ('vzctl enter NNN') I am receiving the error
enter into VE NNN failed
Unable to open pty: No such file or directory

After some research I discovered that the package 'udev' (udev-095-14.9.el5.x86_64.rpm) is the reason for this! When I install a clean CentOS 5 and invoke 'yum -y install udev' I see
[code]
[...]
Hm, what is that for? There is an older 'udev' inside this package! Is there a newer version of 'vzdev' somewhere?

I love to answer my own posts! Embarassed

In http://forum.openvz.org/index.php?t=msg&goto=26055 Thomasd asked (more or less) the same question and received a good hint how to solve the problem!

But I still wonder if there is no better solution!
Does vzdev only exists for creating that missing /dev/pty? Then it should be easy (at least for someone with enough knowledge) to update that package so this problem will disappear...

Almost everyone who uses OpenVZ should have this problem (at least if he has to update/install udev)!

Have fun,
drups

P.S.: In my case I 'needed' udev only because I wanted to install ImageMagick, so I just downloaded the udev*rpm and used 'rpm -ivh --justdb udev*rpm' to let rpm think it's there. After that I installed ImageMagick without having the problems with the login. .. I don't know if that is a good solution, but in my case it is!

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Strange problems on New Node (1month)
Next Topic: Question on speed HDD on servers under VPS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Sep 16 06:32:41 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03970 seconds