OpenVZ Forum

Home » General » Support » migration?
Re: migration? [message #29450 is a reply to message #29384] Sun, 13 April 2008 05:08 Go to previous message
shuaib85 is currently offline  shuaib85
Quote:

Do you mean filesystem cache maintained by the Linux kernel? Or do you mean some user application's data?

Yes I mean user application's data for example web server.

Quote:

How long the container will be down in case of migration online (I tried it is about 50 seconds for centos template)
Thanks

I've seen numbers from 3 to about 10 seconds (vzmigrate -v should print timing stats). There are a few things that affect "offline" time. One particular thing is since ssh/scp is used a few times during migration, you have to set up destination system in a way that each ssh connect doesn't lead to a long IP-to-hostname DNS lookup. One way of doing that is putting your source system IP on the destination node. There are a lot of other stuff that can/should be checked.... We need to see your numbers if you need some help with that.

I have migrated one container and this is the time output
Restoring completed succesfully
Resuming VE
Resuming...
Times:
Suspend + Dump: 0.334938
Copy dump file: 16.682
Second rsync: 24.7136
2nd level quota: 12.5953
Undump + Resume: 11.9137
Total time: 66.2395
Cleanup

As you can see the total time is 66 seconds!!

I used ping to check the availability of the container. About 50 ICMP were either missed or telling Time to live exceeded, others tell redirect to host

WebVZ: OpenVZ Web Management Tool
http://webvz.sourceforge.net

[Updated on: Sun, 13 April 2008 05:10]

Report message to a moderator

Read Message
Read Message
Read Message
Previous Topic: Howto config ve of ram 1GB
Next Topic: Debian host, Ubuntu VE won't start
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Jul 13 19:43:58 GMT 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02263 seconds